Cant Star XP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My OS freezed and I had to restart it. But now It gives me the options to start windows normaly or safe mode and so on. If I choose any one of the options the windows bootscreen start and then yust go black and the my PC restarts. I cant format my harddrive becuase there is valuable data on it. And even with the XP cd it wont go so far as past the Recover or Setup windows options, it yust freezes!
PLZ help me, I urgently need to get things going!!!

Thanx allot!!!!!

I was going to suggest booting from your XP CD and doing a repair, but if setup won't run I don't think you will be able to do it. You may want to download and run memtest, sounds like you may have defective ram or some other type of hard ware problem. May want to run some diagnostics on your hard drive too. You should be able to download free software from the drive makers site to check it out for errors. If you have another PC you could slave that drive in it to try and recover your files.

Sup(her)Man said:
Ok, but I cant even slave the disk.Then my OS stil dont start.It yust freezes after the boorscreen but it doesnt restart +
?

Have you tried it? You don't boot from the bad drive you boot from the original master drive with a working version of windows on it. You put the second drive in as a slave so it shows up as a second drive in my computer. If you have tried it and it locks up the second PC I'd bet that the drive is defective.

Did you try running the manufactures disk utility on it to see if it fails the diagnostic? You should be able to run it from a floppy. I had a Maxtor drive that was giving me errors. I ran max blast and it failed. I did a low level format on it and then it passed. It's been in service for months now with no problems or errors. If it's locking up a working PC it may be hard to recover the files on it. Does the BIOS show the correct size for that drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back