Can't tell if my APU is thermal throttling or defective

Tenuto

So basically if my APU is stressed it will perform at a certain level. But after some time the APU dials back on its clock speed and it doesn't perform as well. On HW Monitor the temps get really high then it throttles. But, I heard AMD OverDrive is the only accurate way to measure APU temperatures. On AMD OverDrive it says I'm 35 degrees Celsius of thermal throttling. I don't know which to believe. Thanks!

Need Basics: cpu, cooler, motherboard, OS, RAM, PSU, video card
How long have you had it? When did the problem start? What were you doing? Have you cleaned out the dust bunnies? Have you made any changes contemporary to the onset of the problem?

Need Basics: cpu, cooler, motherboard, OS, RAM, PSU, video card
How long have you had it? When did the problem start? What were you doing? Have you cleaned out the dust bunnies? Have you made any changes contemporary to the onset of the problem?

I'm using the stock AMD Cooler. It's similar to the ones included in the FX series. Some of the thermal paste on the edges of the copper plate stuck to the packaging don't know if that means anything.

• Mother Board: Gigabyte FM2+ UltraDurable DS2H
  • CPU: AMD A10 7870K Stock Clock Speeds
  • RAM: 8GB DDR3 2400Mhz underlocked to 2133Mhz
  • PSU: EVGA 400wt
  • No Video Card
  • Computer Age: 3 weeks.

Looks like a nice build.

You might find some nuggets here: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html

Does BIOS have temp limits set? At what? This CPU has a max temp of 72C - so make sure that the limits are below that. I use 65C to give me some headroom. Normal idle temp should be around 30-32C in a 22C environment.

Looks like HW Monitor added A10s in v 1.25 so maybe it is accurate.

What is range of temps in HW Monitor? Do any of the cores depart much?
How does that match with Overdrive Thermal Margin (the net headroom under the 72C max)?

Do you have thermal paste at hand in case you want to remount cooler?

Please describe how the overheating / throttling comes about. Specific numbers help.

Looks like a nice build.

You might find some nuggets here: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html

Does BIOS have temp limits set? At what? This CPU has a max temp of 72C - so make sure that the limits are below that. I use 65C to give me some headroom. Normal idle temp should be around 30-32C in a 22C environment.

Looks like HW Monitor added A10s in v 1.25 so maybe it is accurate.

What is range of temps in HW Monitor? Do any of the cores depart much?
How does that match with Overdrive Thermal Margin (the net headroom under the 72C max)?

Do you have thermal paste at hand in case you want to remount cooler?

Please describe how the overheating / throttling comes about. Specific numbers help.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know if my BIOS has temp limits, I'll have to dig around in the settings but there doesn't seem to be much there. In HW Monitor my temperatures range from 43 to 59 degrees Celsius while at idle which doesn't seem too good. Right now as I'm typing this it's at 68 degrees Celsius. Unfortunately in AMD OverDrive it says that I'm still 65 Degrees Celsius from exhausting the thermal margin which seems fishy to me.

I first discovered this in CineBench where the APU would perform as expected (all cores at 3.9Ghz) when all the sudden they dial back by 100Mhz to 1Ghz and the temperatures start to decrease again. In HW monitor this throttling occurs at 85 degrees Celsius and in AMD OverDrive only 35 degrees Celsius (Thermal Margin).

85C???? If true, not good at all. We better hope that HW Monitor is inaccurate - otherwise it is likely something terrible has happened to your processor.

Did you have time to check out the link to tomshardware?

You said "in AMD OverDrive only 35 degrees Celsius (Thermal Margin)." I think I am getting confused here. Thermal margin is a net headroom idea. Are you saying that looking at every one of the 4 cores that the 'thermal margin" is 35C as the minimum value (I.e. 72C minus 35C for a net real temp of 37C). If so, why would the processor throttle?

Are we sure everything is in Celsius? You said 69C while typing and 65C in thermal margin at the same time...that says Overdrive thinks the max temp is 65C+69C=134C !?! That makes no sense.

My AMI BIOS has a page called "PC Health" with temperatures and Warning and Shutdown Temps. Check your manual.

85C???? If true, not good at all. We better hope that HW Monitor is inaccurate - otherwise it is likely something terrible has happened to your processor.

Did you have time to check out the link to tomshardware?

You said "in AMD OverDrive only 35 degrees Celsius (Thermal Margin)." I think I am getting confused here. Thermal margin is a net headroom idea. Are you saying that looking at every one of the 4 cores that the 'thermal margin" is 35C as the minimum value (I.e. 72C minus 35C for a net real temp of 37C). If so, why would the processor throttle?

Are we sure everything is in Celsius? You said 69C while typing and 65C in thermal margin at the same time...that says Overdrive thinks the max temp is 65C+69C=134C !?! That makes no sense.

My AMI BIOS has a page called "PC Health" with temperatures and Warning and Shutdown Temps. Check your manual.
Oh boy. Thanks for the reply again haha.

You hit in the head. I am wondering why it's throttling at 37 degrees Celsius. And yes, 35 is my minimum value for all 4 cores. And yeah everything is in Celsius even HW Monitor. And yeah I'll have to look into that PC health thing. I sure hope nothing is wrong D:

According to your motherboard manual: (READ the MANUAL!)

"
`` PC Health Status
&& Reset Case Open Status
Disabled Keeps or clears the record of previous chassis intrusion status. (Default)
Enabled Clears the record of previous chassis intrusion status and the Case Open field will
show "No" at next boot.
&& Case Open
Displays the detection status of the chassis intrusion detection device attached to the motherboard CI
header. If the system chassis cover is removed, this field will show "Yes", otherwise it will show "No". To
clear the chassis intrusion status record, set Reset Case Open Status to Enabled, save the settings to
the CMOS, and then restart your system.
&& CPU Vcore/DRAM Voltage/+3.3V/+5V/+12V
Displays the current system voltages.
&& CPU/System Temperature
Displays current CPU/system temperature.
&& CPU/System Fan Speed
Displays current CPU/system fan speeds.
&& CPU Temperature Warning
Sets the warning threshold for CPU temperature. When temperature exceeds the threshold, BIOS will emit
warning sound. Options are: Disabled (default), 60oC/140oF, 70oC/158oF, 80oC/176oF, 90oC/194oF."

Oh yeah that. The temperatures read pretty darn high in the BIOS about 56 degrees. Do you think maybe my BIOS is incorrectly reading the temperatures which is causing my Processor to throttle?

No, I think the BIOS has it right and that the temps for your APU are way too high. My further guess is that if you don't set warning at 60C and shutdown at 65C that you risk losing your APU. In addition, it is my guess that there is something wrong with your cooler - such that it is not in full contact with the top of your APU or the fan isn't turning. The real temp at idle with a properly working cooler should be about 30C (my cores are 26C-29C)

Check fan on cooler - is it turning?

If you have a supply of thermal paste, you might want to explore how your cooler is set. Removal (be gentle. release hold downs / slight twist / not pull ) - examine thermal pad/paste. Was it in contact? Air bubbles?

Follow instructions ..

Many long years ago when I was building my 3rd or 4th system (like 1987 or 1988), I put the cooler on the wrong way - so it was lifted up in one corner by the plastic on the socket - fried Cyrix - hope that hasn't happened to you.

Last edited:
This is going to make things more confusing. I managed to find a PC Health system monitor made by Gigabyte. CPU temps within the app are very reasonable. 29 degrees Celsius Idle. Once again once it reaches a certain temperature (within the app 50 degrees Celsius) it throttles. The questions I guess is. Which temperature readings are accurate? 2 programs say the temperatures are low and 2 say they are high.

Since you have a Gigabyte BIOS saying 'high' and a Gigabyte utility saying 'low', you might want to contact Gigabyte support and ask them.

Maybe it is a motherboard problem.

Actually I am saying that you said that you have a Gigabyte BIOS saying 'high' and a Gigabyte utility saying 'low' and that you might want to contact Gigabyte support and ask them how this could be. The other thing we know is that the thermal protection for the APU is registering 'hot' and turning the processing frequency down to protect the APU. The fact that the BIOS shows 'hot' makes me very concerned for the APU. However, it is also possible that the sensors are messed up - and that would be a motherboard issue.

Back