Can't Tell What The Problem Is!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aight...
So i have 2.66 ghz p4 processor, X-Dreamer II case, ATI Radeon 9700 pro video card, Sb Live!, and a 450w Black Steel Psu

Earlier today, i noticed that my processor and my case was getting a bit hot in there (case was around 70c, and processor was around 60c), so i opened up my case and that's it. just to let it cool down. i went to go turn it on about 10 minutes later. I made sure everything is plugged in and everything was pretty clean in there. (because i think i have OCD with wires. i hate when they are tangled.) When i went to go turn it on, only the fans and LED's and front panel will turn on, and only for about 1/2 second.

I tried clearing my CMOS. I have my mobo handbook still, so i made sure i did it right. that didnt work.

I tried switching the PSu and that didn't work.

I seriously have no idea what's happened to my computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you were messing with the PSU wires then you need to make sure that the that both PSU connections to the motherboard are still firmly seated.( both the 20 or 24 pin main connector and the 4 pin connector)

Yeah i made sure that they were in there nice and good.

But then again, I just got into computer's about half a year ago, so i better make sure that i'm doing everything right.

idk. i checked everything, and it is all in there right, video card is plugged in, video card cable is, sound card, processor, 20+4 pin connector, 4 pin connector on mobo. everything. maybe i'll just unplug everything and let it sit for the night, just to make sure that it isn't anything with the power.

Thanks for the feedback though.

ehh...

The build is about 3 or 4 months old.
I really don't know what the problem is.....
HElp please.
It's starting to piss me off

it sounds like it's overheating, short-circuited, or your PSU died.

do you get any beep codes?

since you have tried another PSU, its fairly safe to assume thats not the issue. and it was built months ago, so it's unlikely that its a short circuit. that leaves overheating as a probable cause.

it only takes a second or two for a CPU to overheat. you should:

1. remove the heatsink
2. clean all thermal compound from the heatsink and CPU with isopropyl alcohol
3. vacumm all the dust out of the heatsink fins
4. apply some new thermal compound
5. remount the heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back