Can't understand why Windows 7 is freezing?

BlackIrish

Hi,

I have a problem with my Windows 7 PC and I have no idea what could be causing it, so I'm a bit worried if this problem is fixable?

Anyway, what happens is that in random intervals (usually 10-40 minutes after booting) my Windows looks like it's "working", but instead if I press on any application option (like on a toolbar to save a notepad document, or in a browser to open a tab, etc.) or on the "X" button to close something, that said window becomes all whitish and freezes. All the other windows in the mean time are not freezed and they seem to be working, until I ALT+Tab to them, after which they too become whitish and freezed. Task Manager doesn't open at all, nor does the Ctrl-Alt-Del Welcome screen. The PC in question is not OC'ed, so it's not a temperature problem (plus it's very cold here at the moment). I scanned with NOD32 and did not find anything suspicious, and I also checked the Task Manager (before freezing) there weren'y any unusual processes there.

That's what makes me so worried, I see no reason why this should be happening? Perhaps I can check Event Viewer for something specific, or??? The PC in question uses Windows 7 SP1 with all the latest updates.

Do you see any yellow exclamation points in the device manager? Creative sound cards don't play well sometimes in Windows 7

Hi, BlackIrish,

It’s always a good idea to ask yourself if you have installed / updated any software recently that could have changed the configuration of your machine. Assuming that you have not, I would proceed to the following troubleshooting steps.
If you can get into command prompt through run, I would recommend running a few commands to ensure your file system is not corrupt.

Once in command prompt, type the following command:

“chkdsk /r” (without the quotations)

Assuming that the response comes back successful, I would reboot the machine and run one more command:

“sfc /scannow” (again, without the quotations)

If you do receive any errors and the problem persists, you may want to try to boot from your Windows 7 DVD and proceed to repair options. From there, you would want to attempt to restore your computer to a previous date where you know it was functioning as expected.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Back