Can't uninstall Zone Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

t13nif

I have been posting re my ongoing efforts to remove hacktool and trojans from my system. A secondary issue is my Zone Alarm problem. I updated my free ZA version and after installation attempted to get on the net. I was directed to a ZA page that advised me that there had been a problem with the installation (possibly due to a virus, which i know i already have) and that it had placed my system on internet lockdown. The instruction to fix were as follows:1) reboot 3 times to see if this solves the problem--it did not.2) Change the name of the "Internet Logs" folder --unable to do so as i received a "access violation" error (even in safe mode). 3) Search for and delete all files named VSDATANT or VSDATA95 -- i was able to find VSDATANT.sys but was not able to delete it (same access violation error).

I tried to uninstall several times, apparently successfully but everytime i get back on the web my system goes into shutdown.

How can i get rid of this program??? Please help. At least if i could get net access i could download some of these other programs suggested to me.

Are you the system administrator? (are you on the first account made) Even if your account has administrator status, deletion/editing files might not work unless you use the first, system administrator account. I'm guessing you have a limited account... But I'm new to system security so if this isn't so then just know I'm trying to help :)

Download PocketKillbox here: http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip. Extract it from the zip file, remember where it goes.
Double-click on Killbox.exe to run it. In the "Paste Full Path of File to Delete" box, fill in the full path/filename you want to delete.
Click on the Action menu and choose "Delete on Reboot". In the Action menu select "Process and Reboot". When prompted to reboot, do so.

I don't know what is going on, but KillBox did NOT remove Zone Alarm from my system. Incidentally, my PC is completely clean now of viruses, trojans and hacktools but i am still unable to access the internet because ZA keeps putting my computer on 'internet lockdown'--i have uninstalled ZA, reinstalled ZA, deleted files, even deleted the registry keys and to no avail. Is there anything i can do to completely wipe this wretched program from my PC? I am literally going insane.... please help. And yes, i am logged in as administrator.

I have deleted vsmon.exe repeatedly but it still seems to re-appear. However i don't see it running now nor can i find it on my system. The biggest problems i have with the various Zone Alarm removal instructions (from the ZA site) is that i am unable to delete C:\WINNT\Internet Logs (when i apparently should be able to do so) and i am unable to delete vsdatant.sys (same error message--sharing violation, file in use).

I have also tried to uninstall Symnatec with no success :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back