Can't use 1920x1080

cschrille

Hey guys, yesterday everything was working out just fine with 1920x1080 res. Ive been using it for a year or something. And now my max res is 1440x400 and it detects my full HD screen as crt vga. How can i solve this problem? Graphics card is ATI HD4870 1gb. Ive had this problem before and didnt solve it and then the pc didn't boot anymore.

Have you tried uninstalling then re-installing the drivers for both the graphics card and monitor ?
When you say you have had the problem before and the PC ceased booting, what action was taken to correct it ?

You might want to furnish a few more details. "the solution was to install Windows 7 on a partition" isn't a lot to go on.

If i install windows 7 on a new partition it creates new dll files so i think the problem was in some drivers/dll's

You have tried system restore I assume?

EDIT: Are you using a VGA cable to connect the graphics card to the monitor ? If so, then that would be the most likely cause of the system detecting your monitor as a CRT. If this is the case the switch to a DVI-D cable.

The plug on the monitor that the cable is attached to. Is it a blue VGA/D-Sub port ?
If so then I'd advise that you use the DVI-D port instead. Using the VGA port (or VGA adapter plug on a graphics card) can sometimes fool the system into thinking it's attached to a CRT screen. This would also likely show in the hardware manager under "monitor" as showing a generic PnP monitor. Is this happening?

that would be the vga port as i only have that one on the back of it (Samsung syncmaster 2233sn. But it is 1920x1080 . And it says Generic non-PnP monitor

I don't see a clear cut way of resolving your issue. ATI drivers in a Windows 7 32-bit (my guess is that you aren't using a 64 bit OS) do sometimes have issues with VGA input/output connectivity with HD 4xxx series and earlier cards, and until AMD get to work on the problem I think you'll find this a re-occuring problem. The main problem is that for AMD, anything that isn't of the current HD 5xxx series is now down the priority list as far as driver support goes.
All I can suggest at this time is to either upgrade to a DVI-D (or HDMI) capable monitor, upgrade to a HD 5xxx card/nvidia card or possibly contact Microsoft Support or AMD to see if there is a workaround for the problem.
Be aware that this is a reasonably well known problem (hence my asking about the VGA port in the first place) with AMD drivers (along with a few others e.g. sound over HDMI issues, H.264 playback within Linux), and even though reasonably well publicised is still plagued by an ongoing lack of support.
Sorry I can't be of any more help.
If you haven't tried System Restore I would see if that can restore the functionality.

Here is a sample thread from AMD's own forums on the issue

Ok nvm i fixed it. My friend also had the problem and the solution was to uninstall ALL monitor drivers and graphic drivers then reinstall them both and reboot. And also i have 64bit ^^ Thank you anyway

Yeah but i had to install them both at the same time without rebooting for graphics only and then install monitor

Back