Can't use Partition Magic on WD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to change partion size on my two drives and would like to use Partition Magic, but I can not, because I receive message (after I launch Partition MAgic) that my drive is locked. I had to install WD software to manage my drive and I used it initially to setup my partitions. But I dont want to use it any more, there is no flexibility with changing partition sizes. It looks like WD dont allow any other program to play with partitions. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem so I can use Partition MAgic????
Please help !!!
Thanks for any tips.
Maciek

what software (lifeguard)doesn't show anything about partitioning drives, just test and 0 writes.
if you have information on this part of drive and can move it
do that and then reformat the drive with PM
the drive manager I use is paragon partition manager and or acronis. I have formatted drives using seagate utilitys
and gone back to MY PM and had no proplems
seagate utilitys will work with any drive and not damage it.
check to see if the drives is write disabled

Samstoned: what software (lifeguard)
Maciek: I have Lifeguard on my HD as management tool.
... I can not start PM because I get this error that HD is locked; also when I wanted to do backup with Ghost it did not show any info about my drives, like there was nothing on my disks 0MB no partitions. I think this WD Lifeguard locks everything.

Samstoned: I have formatted drives using seagate utilitys and gone back to MY PM and had no problems.
Maciek: Do you have Lifeguard on your drive? I would like to change partition sizes without formating my drives, if possible. I was using this option on my old/smaller drive that did not have that WD manager.
Do you know if I can remove this LIfeguard from my system without any problems? I would rather use PM instead. I have 120GB drive.

never used lifeguard
should not be a problem to uninstall
what ever it has done to hdd it has done
I would go to seagate website and try there software
I have used it on all brands of drives with no issues at all
hard drive locked may mean that it has been write protected some how lifeguard has write protected some or all of that part of drive
I think your going to need to use there tool to reformat and remove write block
I still think since seagate is free thats what I would use

good luck
regards
SS

Thank you for your help. Do you think I can use this seagate program to resize my drive without formating them, just like in PM?
What is the name of that program by seagate so I can download it and try it? Thank in advance

Samstoned said:
never used lifeguard
should not be a problem to uninstall
what ever it has done to hdd it has done
I would go to seagate website and try there software
I have used it on all brands of drives with no issues at all
hard drive locked may mean that it has been write protected some how lifeguard has write protected some or all of that part of drive
I think your going to need to use there tool to reformat and remove write block
I still think since seagate is free thats what I would use

good luck
regards
SS
I'd like to THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your fantastic tips. I've just used Acronis do resize my drives and it worked. Now I don't have to think about running out of space on my C drive.
Thank you again.
Maciek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back