TechSpot

Can't use windows update, freezes iexplore window

By siedog
Oct 7, 2007
  1. Hello,

I'm not sure if i'm affected, but thought I'd give it a shot here for some advice.

I have Win 2000 pro, and ran Windows Update. I was able to get to the site, install some windows update software, ran updates and found some updates to download. I chose to install, and it stalled while it kept on saying preparing to download and install. I decided to end the iexplore.exe process in the task manager and try to go back to Windows Update again, but now it stalls without even going to the page. I noticed one of my svchost.exe is up to 35,908 in mem usage. I have already tried soft and hard booting, but still stalls when I try to go to the update site. The internet explorer window would freeze, and I would need to close out iexplore.exe in the task manager.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Simon

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

3. siedog

siedog TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 46

Thanks for the link and file, but after running it, it still freezes the IE window when trying to run windows updates from the Tools -> Windows Update link. Is there another fix? Is there another way to access Windows Update to download new patches?

Please help because I haven't updated my Windows in awhile.

Thanks.

4. Tmagic650

5. siedog

Thank you so very much!!! After installing this hotfix, I was able to go to WIndows Update with no issues and install the latest security and other fixes. Appreciate it so very much!!

6. Tmagic650

It took me 2 tries but we succeded... Good work

7. siedog

UPDATE: this is now happening again for some reason. (Please someone read original post I made back in Oct 07). Please someone help me!! I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks.

8. intervenetd2

intervenetd2 TS Rookie

just avoid using internet explorer all together...thats all i can say.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.