Can't watch DVD's anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
My system used to be able to watch DVD movies, but suddenly I'm getting an error indicating that it can't read the copy protection. WMP actually says, "Windows Media Player cannot play the DVD because a problem occurred with digital copyright protection."
InterActual Player says, "A CSS error occurred while trying to play the DVD."

Any ideas on what might cause this to suddenly happen. BTW: It's all DVD movies.

System:
Windows XP Pro
AMD Athlon 64 3800+
2GB RAM
ASUS A8V-MX Motherboard with integrated video

Jay

Assorted googles -

Remove the DVD from the DVD drive and then reinsert it. This will force the copy protection software to reset.

While the DVD is out of the drive, make sure that your DVD is clean. If your DVD is scratched or dirty, the DVD drive may not be able to read it correctly, and you might receive this error.

If you have another DVD player program installed on your computer, play the DVD by using that program, and then try playing the DVD in Windows Media Player again.

There was a problem configuring your video card. Restart your computer, and then try again.

There`s another video player HERE

or..

It's a possibility your codecs have malfunctioned, try reinstalling these...

I've never seen this sort of problem. but try to acquire the program called "ANYDVD" and run it while you watch dvds to see if this helps, I'm quite curious myself...

also, update DVD-rom drivers (lol, I have faith in you, but make sure you're using your DVDROM drive and not your cdrom to play dvds), and please, for your sake, take peddant's advice and get a new DVD/video program, even "PowerDVD" will suffice...

Thanks for your responses, but it's not a dirty DVD player (I've got two) and I have no CD drives, just DVD drives. CODECs, maybe. Oh, and I've got at least 4 different players, so it's not that either.

When I ran WMP's Video Decoder Checkup Utility, it said my system's ASPI drivers were corrupted. Might that have something to do with it?

Jay

Removing Nero solved the problem. I was having problems installing a point release of Nero, so I decided to remove it and do a full install. On a whim, after it had been removed, I put in a DVD and it worked. I haven't reinstalled Nero yet, though I probably will soon. If Nero clobbers it again, at least I'll know what to remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back