Capcom fights back against 'Street Fighter V' rage-quitters

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Capcom said late last month that it was well aware of the fact that rage-quitters were running rampant in Street Fighter V and that severe punishments would be doled out in the near future. The day of reckoning is now upon us as Capcom is making good on its promise.

In a recent blog post, Capcom said it has been working with its server team to put together a process to indentify players that have an extremely high connection rate. An unusually high connection rate signifies users are dropping out of online multiplayer games when the match isn't going their way and a loss is looming. If the match isn't completed, they won't be awarded a loss and their record remains squeaky clean.

The developer said it has since automated the process which only targets the worst offenders. Gamers that have only had a few instances of dropouts shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Capcom said it penalized roughly 30 players last week by docking their League Points which it said was a warning. Moving forward, the team said it will be making a sweep each week and offending accounts will have their League Points reset entirely. This is only a temporary solution but at the very least, maybe it'll make rage-quitters think twice before disconnecting from a match they're losing.

Capcom said it doesn't yet have an ETA on a permanent solution but will let everyone know as soon as it is in place.

Permalink to story.

I play SF v alot so I like this solution.

Some of these online games have too many no life *****s doing this crap.

Dumbest thing ever. They are fighting back against their customers, they need to offer them refunds then.
I play internet backgammon and people leave games they are losing all the time, so what? It doesn't keep me from enjoying the time I spend playing if the game has no end. People need to stop worrying about what other people do and just do what they want to.
Life is too short to cry about a kid quitting a game, if your happiness is wrapped up in someone else's actions, you need to reassess your pastime.

Dumbest thing ever. They are fighting back against their customers, they need to offer them refunds then.
I play internet backgammon and people leave games they are losing all the time, so what? It doesn't keep me from enjoying the time I spend playing if the game has no end. People need to stop worrying about what other people do and just do what they want to.
Life is too short to cry about a kid quitting a game, if your happiness is wrapped up in someone else's actions, you need to reassess your pastime.

When the whole community is complaining about this they have to do something about it. I don't see how this is fighting back against your costumers when they are the ones complaining about it and asking capcom to do something about it. Do you think they just decided to do this on their own?

No you don't get a refund for being a loser trying to drop to save your record it destroys the competitive side of the game. You take your loss like a man and move on to the next match.

If you are someone that can't take a loss in a competitive fighting game online then maybe you shouldn't be playing it there will always be someone better.

As I said before you cannot compare the online community of backgammon to the community of SF.

That is apple vs oranges.

And to be honest nobody gives a **** about backgammon lol.

Last edited:
When the whole community is complaining about this they have to do something about it.

As I said before you cannot compare the online community of backgammon to the community of SF.

That is apple vs oranges.

And to be honest nobody gives a **** about backgammon lol.
If that were in fact true, then there would be no one playing it, I assure you that is not the case.
http://www.world-backgammon-association.com/
http://www.usbackgammon.org/

If you need another example, I used to play Elite Dangerous, and in that game players log out if they are losing a battle, and again it makes no difference to me or what I want to do in the game.
Make up a story for yourself to explain their sudden vanishing and go on playing if you want to, or quit playing if you don't.
Putting your enjoyment in the hands of some kid you never met is a bad choice, keep control of your own happiness.

That may be so but I don't know a single person my age that plays backgammon maybe my parents. There are no streams on blink of anyone playing it. Street fighter Tournament winners are known all over the internet,Its a poor example to compare street fighter to.
We moved beyond backgammon 2 posts ago, try to keep up.
I have never heard of any street fighter tournament winner anywhere, I asked my wife, she said the same thing. Maybe it just a small group of players that know about it. Blink is a wireless security system, so why would they stream backgammon matches?

No you don't get a refund for being a loser trying to drop to save your record it destroys the competitive side of the game. You take your loss like a man and move on to the next match.

So make leaving the fight early count as a loss. I'm a little amazed it wasn't that way from the start... any dev worth his pay knows how some people will try to game the system. The ban hammer isn't the solution for this... fix the broken game mechanics! Don't give people a loophole and then expect them not to use it.

So make leaving the fight early count as a loss. I'm a little amazed it wasn't that way from the start... any dev worth his pay knows how some people will try to game the system. The ban hammer isn't the solution for this... fix the broken game mechanics! Don't give people a loophole and then expect them not to use it.
Precisely, and for those that bought it when the rules were different, offer a no questions asked refund.

We moved beyond backgammon 2 posts ago, try to keep up.
I have never heard of any street fighter tournament winner anywhere, I asked my wife, she said the same thing. Maybe it just a small group of players that know about it. Blink is a wireless security system, so why would they stream backgammon matches?

Sorry blink is a secondary app I use to access twitch. And yes we can move past backgammon because its irrelevant to a news article about street fighter. And you haven't heard of any of the winners because you don't play street fighter and it isn't your scene. Which means you don't know enough about the topic to continue this discussion.

Where does that article say anything about banning them?

It says they will dock their league points.

lol people quitting early to avoid a loss on their record a broken game mechanic?

Do any of you commenting actually play this game????

Sorry blink is a secondary app I use to access twitch. And yes we can move past backgammon because its irrelevant to a news article about street fighter. And you haven't heard of any of the winners because you don't play street fighter and it isn't your scene. Which means you don't know enough about the topic to continue this discussion.
I thought the article was about people leaving in the middle of a game and others getting angry about it. That is what I was commenting about, not the game, but the people playing it. How fun is a game without any people? The people are the issue, not the game imo.

I also thought the most telling statement was the final one, "Capcom said it doesn't yet have an ETA on a permanent solution but will let everyone know as soon as it is in place."
People trying to enforce their morals on others is never an easy thing to do. To some people a silly game matters very little and in the annuls of history it's likely to matter even less.

I thought the article was about people leaving in the middle of a game and others getting angry about it. That is what I was commenting about, not the game, but the people playing it. How fun is a game without any people? The people are the issue, not the game imo.

I also thought the most telling statement was the final one, "Capcom said it doesn't yet have an ETA on a permanent solution but will let everyone know as soon as it is in place."
People trying to enforce their morals on others is never an easy thing to do. To some people a silly game matters very little and in the annuls of history it's likely to matter even less.

The title of the article says

This article is specifically about Street fighter V

Last edited:

The title of the article says "

I tried to compose a reply to him but I held back because he is clearly trolling. Reading between the lines clearly illustrates that he has no interest in the context of this article.

The title of the article says

I also see Rage Quitters there, who could that mean if not the players?
It makes no sense for capcom to fight back against street fighter v.
Anyhow, my comments and opinions are about the people playing the games and not the actual code used in the game itself.
It's the reaction of the people to the thing that is worth discussing, not the thing itself.

I also see Rage Quitters there, who could that mean if not the players?
It makes no sense for capcom to fight back against street fighter v.
Anyhow, my comments and opinions are about the people playing the games and not the actual code used in the game itself.
It's the reaction of the people to the thing that is worth discussing, not the thing itself.

no disrespect but there is no point continuing this you obviously don't play this game.

no disrespect but there is no point continuing this you obviously don't play this game.
I won't be hurt at all if you stop replying to me or quoting me. :)
I play games. I play games where players rage quit, and that was the basis for my opinion on the matter of rage quitters. :) I hope you understand it has nothing to do with the game they quit, I am discussing the psychology behind getting upset by the actions of others.

Typical Rage Quitter?

Typical Rage Quitter?
When people quit, I don't rage, I start a new game and chuckle to myself at the person cheating themselves out of an experience.

It is ironic that they made a game that caters to a juvenile mentality and then wonder why the people playing are acting like kids.

I used to watch as my friend would play Street Fighter in the arcades in the 80's and even then it was a little too juvenile for my tastes, a lot of folks like it though and that's fine. But don't be surprised when kids act like kids.

It's quite common in a lot of games just, when it become repeat offenders trying to ruin your day? I'd happily laugh at them when they get punished, by ducking out on taking a loss. Accept your losses and lumps, move on like a good person and play the game as it's intended. They get a rush when they stomp someone, but are allowed to avoid a loss? All because they'd rather a perfect record, which you should be earning properly.

Just put all the rage-quitters in a pool against each other, see how long until they get upset at the company for their placement. If they can actually play for say a week without rage quitting, they could then be put back in with the rest of the players. Otherwise leave them there, let em know they can't return and let them sulk. :p

Sure I might be a bitter individual, but you get tired of such nonsense in games. Better to throw them in another pool of users, than actually letting them interrupt your enjoyment of a game. It doesn't matter to many win or lose honestly, but when you get those who back out upon losing? How is that really an enjoyable match? Sure you can shrug it off, but string those in a row as an example. You might get fed up with the nonsense after a while.

It's quite common in a lot of games just, when it become repeat offenders trying to ruin your day? I'd happily laugh at them when they get punished, by ducking out on taking a loss. Accept your losses and lumps, move on like a good person and play the game as it's intended. They get a rush when they stomp someone, but are allowed to avoid a loss? All because they'd rather a perfect record, which you should be earning properly.

Just put all the rage-quitters in a pool against each other, see how long until they get upset at the company for their placement. If they can actually play for say a week without rage quitting, they could then be put back in with the rest of the players. Otherwise leave them there, let em know they can't return and let them sulk. :p

Sure I might be a bitter individual, but you get tired of such nonsense in games. Better to throw them in another pool of users, than actually letting them interrupt your enjoyment of a game. It doesn't matter to many win or lose honestly, but when you get those who back out upon losing? How is that really an enjoyable match? Sure you can shrug it off, but string those in a row as an example. You might get fed up with the nonsense after a while.
Oh, my goodness, it's a dumb video game, no one cares who wins or loses it's pointless. No employer will ever check your game record to make the decision to hire you or not or give you a raise or not. It's pixels people.
No loan officer will check your record in a game after your credit score and give weight to both.

Oh, my goodness, it's a dumb video game, no one cares who wins or loses it's pointless. No employer will ever check your game record to make the decision to hire you or not or give you a raise or not. It's pixels people.
No loan officer will check your record in a game after your credit score and give weight to both.

Someone has obviously never heard of e-Sports.....
Also it is a form of cheating, in context of your arguement then why dont they allow steroids at the olympics, if you lose to a drug taker, just shrug it off and get on with your day, hey?

Someone has obviously never heard of e-Sports.....
Also it is a form of cheating, in context of your arguement then why dont they allow steroids at the olympics, if you lose to a drug taker, just shrug it off and get on with your day, hey?
Not even a valid argument. It would be like being in a race in the Olympics and, when another runner is losing, he stops running and walks off the track and leaves. Oh well, it doesn't matter, let him go. Good riddence.

The matches in the game are a little less important than an Olympic athlete's career anyways. Of course, if it is a sanctioned tournament, it would be via LAN with all participants in the same place and all matches monitored. If a player stops playing, so what, they are done and the tournament continues.

Back