Capcom posts gameplay trailer of upcoming 'Resident Evil' HD remake

By Shawn Knight
Sep 2, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Capcom has released a teaser trailer for a remastered version of one of the greatest video games of all-time, Resident Evil. The title is said to include improved HD graphics, 5.1 surround sound and a 16:9 aspect ratio which should...

Read more
  2. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,370   +2,161

A remake of a remake. Well, I'll give them credit for audacity.
    cmbjive likes this.
  3. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,136   +480

Yea.... I already own and played the NGC version... so what, some more pixels with the same game graphics?

I'll pass but if the price is low enough, I'd might consider.
  4. You can say that again.
  5. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

Are videogames suffering from the same lack of creativity that is plaguing the movie industry? Remaking a remake of a twenty year old game seems to confirm this.
  6. davislane1

There has been little innovation at the AAA level for many years now. The only thing that has been improving over the past 5-7 years is the game engines. Gameplay innovation and effective story telling has been scarce everywhere but the indie scene.

I think this was on full display at E3 for the past two years, where the games haven't generated nearly as much buzz as the PR from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. Even when you look at the titles that did carry some excitement – Destiny, Witcher 3, Bloodborne, DA: Inquisition, etc. – the selling points weren't focused on new gameplay mechanics and story telling as much as they were about how pretty and "expansive" the game worlds would be.

It seems that the game industry has shifted gears from making engrossing games to producing glorified tech demos.
    cmbjive likes this.
  7. robb213

robb213 TS Addict Posts: 309   +92

It depends, but I'm usually okay with remakes, really, really depends. In the case of old games and fan favorites, a real remake is the ****. I would kill to have a real, and good, remake of GoldenEye64; not that crap Goldeneye that hit the Wii not too long ago. But this is where it gets tricky: publishers, who are in the sect of dealing with customers and their wants always massively screw it up. It's like being a computer repair technician and not knowing how to repair them!

This game, I think I'm fine with, only because it was exclusively released for the Gamecube as a remake. But all the other crap, like Metro Redux, Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition, etc. is pathetic and I don't support.

Things will continue like this mostly until people stop buying everything they see, even when they disagree with something.
  8. The absolute best resident evil was the wii numbchuck and light gun version. Nothing to date beats those controls.
  9. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,436   +592

They won't top Resident Evil 4, I didn't shut my Gamecube off for a week.
    cmbjive likes this.
  10. davislane1

I was equally taken with 4, but that title marked the end of the authentic RE franchise. After RE4, it became an action shooter with no atmosphere; Chris Redfield punching boulders, Leon & company playing super commando ninja gunslinger, psycho soldiers...

Revelations was decent, though.
    amstech likes this.
  11. Its already out! Dolphin emulator with NGC remake. BAM! done, FREE
    amstech likes this.
  12. cmbjive

cmbjive TS Booster Posts: 777   +137

I tried playing the game on Gamecube, but didn't care too much for the controls. On PS2, however, that game was a beast. Loved every minute of it.
  13. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,436   +592

Quoting for epicness and truth!
    You should see N64 games with Project64 (higher resolution textures + AA, and thanks eBay for the USB N64 gamepads).
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  14. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,106   +1,376

Watching the trailer bored me to death, I'd charge at least $100 an hour to play this crap.
  15. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Addict Posts: 609   +109

Erm, who else just saw a bunch of cinematics from the Gamecube remake?
  16. kissx

kissx TS Enthusiast Posts: 53

I overheated a ps1 playing that game in the 90's