Capcom to curb 'Street Fighter V' rage-quitting with 'severe' punishments

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Street Fighter V debuted with much fanfare earlier this month. Like most modern fighting games, single-player mode plays second fiddle to multiplayer where gamers battle it out with their peers for online supremacy. Unsurprisingly, there's no shortage of poor sports tarnishing the experience for others via rage-quitting.

For those not up to speed, rage-quitting is a term used to describe players that disconnect from a match before it is complete because they're not happy with how the battle is going (aka, they're going to lose). Rather than tarnish their statistics with a loss, the losing player drops out of the game.

Street Fighter V rage-quitters have gone unpunished thus far but as explained in a recent Capcom blog post, that won't always be the case.

Capcom said it is well aware of the fact that some players are disconnecting before a match ends to retain their League Points and win streaks and that they're working on a permanent solution. In the meantime, the company said it will start taking direct action this week to punish those who are abusing the system.

Said punishment will be "severe" for the worst offenders although Capcom didn't specify exactly what would happen. What's more, the developer said it didn't know exactly when its permanent solution would be implemented.

Any guesses as to what sort of punishment Capcom has in store for habitual offenders? What solutions have you seen in other games that could work to curb rage-quitters in Street Fighter V? Feel free to let us know in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

Rage quitting should be counted as 2 loses since finishing a losing fight will just count as 1 loss. For repeat offenders, maybe rage quitting should be counted as 3 losses? ...something like that.

I can image the punishment being locked out of online play for a certain timeframe. First offense, 15 minutes, second offense, 1 hour. Or they could be given lower priority in a matchmaking queue.

I think they should just go to the house of the quitter and knock on the door. When he opens it, give him a firm boot right in the frank and beans. That will put an end it it forthwith, and as long as you put it in the user agreement, which no one ever reads anyway, all good legally.

All you really need to discourage rage quits is a cool looking old school war3 like ranking\leveling system based off wins and losses. All leavers end up stuck at low levels playing noobs. (no not the new one)

Just amazing how a silly computer game causes the narcissists to show up. They are the types who "rage quit" over a silly thing that nobody will even remember in 100 years, and probably look back on as so silly anyway. People are so self entitled these days.

Wow, they want to force people to play their game at all costs. Whatever happened to free choice? I play online backgammon and this happens all the time, it's part of the territory, you forget about the guy that quits, and find another match, it's a game.

Just one problem, how can you tell whether someone is rage quitting or was just disconnected?

I imagine it can be done by noting the time of the quit vs. the score, coupled with the quitter situation (win streak, etc.). Sure, there would be a small chance that a random disconnect would have cause this, but if the player happens to disconnect at these times only, the chance that it's a disconnect would be extremely low.

The solution unfortunately sounds like my corrupt ex-cop boss at my first computer job. Played poker and wouldn't let us fold or drop out. I just refused to play. He threw a fit. Name was rich, but wanted to make us poor.

Wow, they want to force people to play their game at all costs. Whatever happened to free choice? I play online backgammon and this happens all the time, it's part of the territory, you forget about the guy that quits, and find another match, it's a game.

You can't really compare backgammon to Street fighter online.

apples vs oranges

Rage quitting should be counted as 2 loses since finishing a losing fight will just count as 1 loss. For repeat offenders, maybe rage quitting should be counted as 3 losses? ...something like that.

Just one problem, how can you tell whether someone is rage quitting or was just disconnected?

Easy. You give 2-5 minutes for anyone to reconnect. If it is an RQ then he won't come back. If it is some issue with PC/network/etc.. then he has the chance to reconnect.
If your ISP sux there is no remediation for that... :(

Horse crap. It's people like that, that make backgammon the shitty game it is online. People sitting on a move for minutes at a time for example. Just play the goddamn game. If you don't want to lose then don't play another human being. Play the computer. Also, its no fun when you have to play another player who will most likely do the same thing. I've played hundreds of times and just a few times I can remember where the other player was classy. Most of them are like children. Worse actually. My apologies for insulting children.

Like other games just have WIN | LOSS | QUIT

For someone that quits it doesn't remove wins but shows it on there account that they quit. You will then less likely place against someone with loads of quits against their name. If someones apponant quits then it would be an auto win. I'd then make it so you can't play vs a quitter for 7 days to prevent fake account boosting players win percentages by constantly forcing rage quits.

Easy. You give 2-5 minutes for anyone to reconnect. If it is an RQ then he won't come back. If it is some issue with PC/network/etc.. then he has the chance to reconnect.
If your ISP sux there is no remediation for that... :(

The only problem with this is now the person on the other side of the Rage Quit has to wait 5 minutes for a person who may or may not come back. Very abusable for people with VPNs who want to tie up their opponents so they cannot gain enough wins to enter a tournament.

It'd probably be better just to develop an algorithm that collects your disconnect data over a period of time. Say for example, a rage quitter would have a pattern of only quitting when their health is low while a person who is randomly disconnected wouldn't have the same pattern. Of course this would require some work on the server's end but it wouldn't be too heavy.

I've never understood rage quitting, I mean I have been frustrated playing someone way beyond my level but I have never just disconnected. I would keep playing and doing my best and I would lose and keep going, it's not the most fun but there is no reason to rage quit and piss off everyone involved.

I've never understood rage quitting, I mean I have been frustrated playing someone way beyond my level but I have never just disconnected. I would keep playing and doing my best and I would lose and keep going, it's not the most fun but there is no reason to rage quit and piss off everyone involved.

You kinda just answered your own question.

"it's not the most fun but there is no reason to rage quit and piss off everyone involved"

Thing is, most people are dushbags over the internet because they can be. If they can get a laugh of it or deprive someone of their enjoyment, they will.

That is a good question. Maybe there is software installed that can tell if the person who quit/disconnected is still online. Though all one would need to do is have a switch hooked up to their connection and switch it off when they get pissed off. I am not sure if there is any way to tell if that happens. I know there are still areas that don't have reliable connections. In my area during storm season the power can go out quite often.

That is a good question. Maybe there is software installed that can tell if the person who quit/disconnected is still online. Though all one would need to do is have a switch hooked up to their connection and switch it off when they get pissed off. I am not sure if there is any way to tell if that happens. I know there are still areas that don't have reliable connections. In my area during storm season the power can go out quite often.

I'd definitively invest in a good generator if that was the case for me.

The power usually comes back on within minutes. At times though the power will go out two or three times when it does happen. Maybe I mislead a little. The power probably goes out 2 or 3 times a year due to storms or ice, which probably has more to do with bad drivers than anything.

The power usually comes back on within minutes. At times though the power will go out two or three times when it does happen. Maybe I mislead a little. The power probably goes out 2 or 3 times a year due to storms or ice, which probably has more to do with bad drivers than anything.

My modem/router/computers are all on UPS, so if the power goes out for less then 20 minutes, I just keep playing. Now if Cable goes out... Well then I'd take the hit. Can't fix stupid, but I'd rather there be a penalty and have to eat a few bogus ones then not be a penalty and deal with ragers. This is one reason I don't even play those games anymore. And I was really very good at them long ago. At one point I stopped playing cause no one could beat me at original Street Fighter or Mortal Combat II. Something like this might get me to dabble in the games again. Now I'm just too old to deal with the childish antics of crybabies and ragers.

My modem/router/computers are all on UPS, so if the power goes out for less then 20 minutes, I just keep playing. Now if Cable goes out... Well then I'd take the hit. Can't fix stupid, but I'd rather there be a penalty and have to eat a few bogus ones then not be a penalty and deal with ragers. This is one reason I don't even play those games anymore. And I was really very good at them long ago. At one point I stopped playing cause no one could beat me at original Street Fighter or Mortal Combat II. Something like this might get me to dabble in the games again. Now I'm just too old to deal with the childish antics of crybabies and ragers.
Yeah I was like that with MK and MKII but I didn't play street fighter enough to be any good at it. But those were the days of coin operated video games at the local pizza joint or what not and before online play was really a thing. I am not even sure online play was around back then for MKII and such. Now I am talking the early to mid 90's. I don't care for online multiplayer competitive games that much at all for many reasons. Primarily because I hate the attitudes and bragging people do. It is bad sportsmanship. I remember playing MKII on the Naval base and some other guy was in there talking crap about how good he was. I asked if he really thought he was that good, and he challenged me. He beat me the first game but after that I didn't loose a game to him again. He got mad because he kept saying he knew he could beat me. Months (?) later I saw his friend in there and he commented that since after that day his attitude had gotten worse and he was getting into trouble a lot. I also hate it when people win and they just want to capitalize on that and just keep bragging and putting whomever they beat down.

Back