Carlos Slim, Larry King to launch Internet television network Ora.TV

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Mexican telecom billionaire Carlos Slim will be financing an Internet-based television network called Ora.TV that is set to launch sometime this year. Ora, which translates to “now” in Spanish and Italian, will be 100 percent ad supported and "available anywhere" -- pressumably without geographic restrictions.

Slim, recently named the richest person in the world with a net worth of 69 billion by Forbes, has recruited some big players in the television industry to work for the network. He has hired Jon Housman, former president of digital journalism initiatives at News Corp. to run the network and renowned former CNN talk show host Larry King will reprise his role as interviewer as well as co-founder.

Ora.TV will produce content that is viewable on desktops, tablets, notebooks, smartphones and Internet-connected televisions. The network will distribute programming in an on-demand format unlike linear cable television. The production quality is said to be on the same level as traditional television shows and will be available in multiple formats.

The network will be joining several other online streaming options in the US including Netflix, Hulu and most recently, YouTube and their line of original programming for the net. The difference, of course, is that services like Netflix and Hulu Plus charge a monthly subscription fee where as Ora.TV will be free.

It’s unclear at this point the scope of the project, as Slim’s spokesperson and son-in-law Arturo Elias Ayub declined to comment on how much money was being invested. "We are going to invest whatever is necessary to make this channel successful," he said.

Permalink to story.

i dont know...everything this guy does seems fishy....ora also means that here...here you got...but its really fast something like the japanesse ora ora ora oraaaaaa!!!! i dont know why they picked up that slang, its a little vulgar...bad name for a "Good" (jajajaja) project

Ora does not mean anything in Spanish. Spanish for "now" is "Ahora".

Guest said:

True, in Spanish "Now" is "Ahora", not Ora.
Maybe in some Mexican variation means something, but...

Guest said:

Rite, but the point is that this thing (i dare to call him person) is nothing but a scammer and thief.

Cota said:
Guest said:

Rite, but the point is that this thing (i dare to call him person) is nothing but a scammer and thief.

Why a scammer and a thief? Isn't the peoples fault that they give him money for his services? Is he lying about his services to get more people to use them so he gets richer?

its hard to ppl evade what the world calls "MONOPOLY" and the politicians wont cut the thing...thats why...its a modern way to be the lord of the land that drains the ppl

artix said:
Why a scammer and a thief? Isn't the peoples fault that they give him money for his services? Is he lying about his services to get more people to use them so he gets richer?

Ii dont have to go very far, Telmex, his telephone empire is a "legal" monopoly since all other phone companies are related to Telmex, and a thief because he has been charging extra calls whit no reason.

Cota said:
artix said:

Ii dont have to go very far, Telmex, his telephone empire is a "legal" monopoly since all other phone companies are related to Telmex, and a thief because he has been charging extra calls whit no reason.

Yup. This guy is a major sleazebag. C'mon, techspot, you love dragging every other article (like, for example, anything you have written about Netflix or RIM in the last 8 months) through the juicy, drama-laden mud in the last paragraph. In fact, you can't seem to help yourself from reiterating whatever negative tidbits you can come up with. Nothing in here about the douchebaggery of Carlos Slim? Is that because you don't know about it, or don't care?

Larry King is still alive?
Maybe he's been dead since he retired, but no one phoned in to tell him

I was excited about new original television shows on the net about 7 years ago, never happened as far as I know, um im hoping this is it. Shame on anyone complaining about something thats free.

Cota said:
artix said:

Sounds like AT&T :)

I wonder how many politicians he has to buy to keep his protected "legal" monopoly status. IIRC his Mexico mobile phone service and DSL broadband service have been rated close to the bottom in terms of value and quality of service. Right down there with AT&T. Sorry I don't have the link at hand.

Back