Carmack Memo a Hoax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Hansson

Staff member
DOOM III Leak A Hoax?

I personally believe that this Doom3 leak has gotten way too much attention, I mean, this after all wasn't even an Alpha.

It was a "show off" or movie if you like of the Doom3 engine, nothing else!

Quote from the Evil Avatar forums by Jim Dose:

This is a hoax. John never sent any memo out and if he had, no one here would be sharing it because they'd be out of a job so fast it wouldn't be funny. It's not like we have 500 employees and couldn't trace where something like that would come from. Anyone who has the barest clue of how this company works would know John wouldn't be the one handling an "investigation", nor would he be the one sending out a memo.

Hmmm... the plot thickens.

Perhaps the whole thing was engineered in the first place by Doom III's creators to generate publicity before the release.... Its a good idea.

Man, you actually got people on kazaa waiting for days to download the file, and people on xdcc download queues on irc waiting for days.... Anticipating the download and marvelling at it when they get it. Giving the whole thing an air of "illegality" makes it all the more interesting.... Yes, the whole thing could have been engineered as a publicity stunt and quite possibly was.

You don't work at iD either, so your opinion holds as little merit as mine.

It was so, so obviously an unintended leak. Furthermore, you are a tool.

Eh well it's not like it matters anyway. I'm not gonna buy Doom 3 just cuz an alpha leaked. Heck I never even got the chance to play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back