TechSpot

Carmageddon 2 lan problem/cant detect hosted games, please help!!

By kritonas
Jan 24, 2005
  1. I've got a lan with 3 pcs, and i want to play lan carmageddon 2 on two of them. But i cant!
    All pcs can see each other/share files and printers. All pcs have XP pro
    I installed the ipx and netbeui protocols necessary for carma2 to connect for a lan game.
    After lots of tinkering with ipx protocols settings and reading forums i managed to connect two of my pcs with dxdiag, thru IPX.
    Oh yeah, and no firewalls are on. The only firewall is my modem/router's firewall which is only for internet traffic, not for the lan.
    So i know that the protocol is configured ok, and my network works great!
    hmm...

why the hell when one pc hosts a game, the other pc cant detect the game????
    please help me if u have any suggestions, as i am out of ideas and i cant understand why it wont work!!!

2. BloodRaven

BloodRaven TS Rookie Posts: 118

is this the only game that you cannot play lan with? try loading up a different game and see if you can get the other two computers on your lan to join your game.

3. kritonas

kritonas TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 62

well i tried with other tcp/ip games, no other IPX games though. I'll see if i have any games that support IPX and i'll try. I thought that if dxdiag connects ok via IPX the protocol works fine..

4. bushwhacker

bushwhacker TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,086

You will need to have or install the following list...

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
    Network Hubs or Routers (more than 4 link is recommended)
    Microsoft DirectX 9.0b or later

Network Configuration:
    --Client for Microsoft Networks
    --File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    --Internet Protocol <TCP/IP>
    --NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol
    --NetBEUI Protocol

Also set up the networks by right-click on My Computer and select property: or Click on Start/Setting/Control Panel and double click on System.

Click on Network Identification and click on Network ID.

Make sure all of your 3 pc using same Domain name. When you run the Carmageddon 2, run it in IPX/TPX or Network game. [Or Peer to Peer TP]

Lucan

P.S. Oh by the way, please watch your languages, kritonas. Techspot Moderators will either edit or remove your post. Thanks.

5. ShadowRack

ShadowRack TS Rookie

Help me..

I got the same problem as kritona. :(

My system is Windows Xp pro on both computers , As for bushwhacker's advice as follow :

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 - One computer can't take SP2 however , everything's work , all lan games , ICS , Network places etc..

Network Hubs or Routers (more than 4 link is recommended) - i have 1 router who connects one of the computers via cable to a network adapter , Other comp is connect by phonline(PPNA).

Microsoft DirectX 9.0b or later(installed , All tests ran succesfully)

Network Configuration:
    --Client for Microsoft Networks - OK
    --File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks - OK
    --Internet Protocol <TCP/IP> - OK
    --NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol - OK
    --NetBEUI Protocol - Can't find this one.

Also set up the networks by right-click on My Computer and select property: or Click on Start/Setting/Control Panel and double click on System.

Click on Network Identification and click on Network

Make sure all of your 3 pc using same Domain name. - OK

When you run the Carmageddon 2, run it in IPX/TPX or Network game. [Or Peer to Peer TP]

How can i choose IPX/TPX on Carmageddon 2? , I can only choose Network Game.

Additional info : Tryed runinng the game with 2 different version , Reg fix , Xp fix , Without all these , Original install , Nothing seemed to work out..

Got Zonealarm Firewall in both comp but i've enabled the execution file to be fully operated with the network(Recheked it many times).

Plz help , ill pay u for it.

Must make that game work on the network!

:(

6. kritonas

kritonas TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 62

I gave up Shadowrack, i simply cant understand why it wont work. everything seems to be in order, and i tried everything i found on the net.

7. ShadowRack

ShadowRack TS Rookie

From my experiance in computing , There's nothing that can't be fixed , Solved , Etc..

I belive the problem can be fixed , We only need to get more information and since the game is a very old one , There's no much interst..

However , Maybe the guy with the knowlege and the solution is right here in the forums..

I tried to post the same thread in EE but i've lost my e-mail address with 1000+ points and it's not free to open an account there anymore..

BTW , Did you try to connect the 2 computer trough direct cable without the router's negotiation and than check the game?

8. suresync

suresync TS Rookie

Solution IPX on Windows XP Carmageddon 2

Install IPX protocol with default values.
    Then start regedit and go to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NwlnkIpx\Parameters
    Change DWORD value SocketUniqueness into 20 (hexadecimal)
    Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NwlnkIpx\Parameters\Adapters\{your adapter}
    Change DWORD value MaxPktSize into 10 (hexadecimal)

You have to do this on every computer you want to play hosted Carmageddon 2 games with.

We had the same problem. After spending a few hours on the problem I made a few guys here very happy. Hope it helps you

Eelko Neven

9. sledge

sledge TS Rookie

carma2 reg patch won't work. found c2o project, won't work either :(

Regedit trick did not do the job :( I tried on several Carma2 versions: simple, advanced, US/UK)..
    Has this ever worked to anyone? I am using Ethernet P2P crossover cable.

Has anyone tried the c2o (Carmageddon 2 Online) project? I cannot use it because c2o_server writes "file hash was not found"..

Project seems to be dead for last months, but files can be downloaded and tried from (copy and paste links, because I am still a rookie here):
    Code:
    [U]cwaboard.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=88740&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1[/U]
    Code:
    [U]carma.jjunkies.com/c2o-overview[/U]
    Anyone please reply on results; thanks huge!

--
    sledge

10. suresync

suresync TS Rookie

We have tried it with several Carmageddon 2 installations and it worked on them. If you send me an export of your HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\NwlnkIpx registry entries i can check if you did something wrong. It workes here on several Windows XP sp2 and sp3 machines.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.