'Carmageddon: Max Damage' announced for next-gen consoles

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Stainless Games has revealed a new entry in the Carmageddon franchise. Carmageddon: Max Damage will tempt gamers with more than 30 metal mangling vehicles designed to mow down the competition (and any unfortunately pedestrians that get in the way).

The Carmageddon franchise holds a special place in my heart. Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now was one of the first PC games I purchased and played shortly after receiving my first computer way back in 1998.

For those not familiar, Carmageddon is all about causing chaos while driving a collection of vehicles hell-bent on destruction. In earlier renditions, you could achieve victory in one of three different ways: pass through all of the checkpoints before everyone else, destroy all of the competition or earn the win by killing every pedestrian in the map.

Carmageddon: Max Damage will be the latest game in the franchise since Carmageddon: Reincarnated arrived last year thanks to a successful Kickstarter campaign.

Carmageddon: Max Damage will be racing onto the scene later this year for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. No word yet on when – or if – Stainless Games is planning to bring the title to the PC.

Permalink to story.

As a Kick-starter Backer, I received an e-mail from Stainless Games yesterday informing me that they would be releasing Carmageddon: Max Damage on consoles and that once released on the PC, I would receive a free copy for Steam.

The following is copied from the email I was sent.

Today we announced the news that Carmageddon: Max Damage will be released on consoles in mid 2016. We hope you’re as excited as us at the prospect of Carmageddon reaching a wider audience through console, and even better, when Carmageddon: Max Damage is released on PC you will automatically get it too. Yes, that’s another Carmageddon in your Steam library – for free!

As a Kick-starter Backer, I received an e-mail from Stainless Games yesterday informing me that they would be releasing Carmageddon: Max Damage on consoles and that once released on the PC, I would receive a free copy for Steam.

Today we announced the news that Carmageddon: Max Damage will be released on consoles in mid 2016. We hope you’re as excited as us at the prospect of Carmageddon reaching a wider audience through console, and even better, when Carmageddon: Max Damage is released on PC you will automatically get it too. Yes, that’s another Carmageddon in your Steam library – for free!

So PC is confirmed..but likely to be a port, sadly. Still, good to know that some of the OG game devs haven't sold out like most of the others. A free game to the PC true believers? Amazing (well, unless its just Reincarnated with some new skins or the like). I was shocked how true to the original titles Reincarnated was although co-op vs AI was sorely missed. This was one of the best things about the original game and should NOT be optional!

So PC is confirmed..but likely to be a port, sadly. Still, good to know that some of the OG game devs haven't sold out like most of the others. A free game to the PC true believers? Amazing (well, unless its just Reincarnated with some new skins or the like). I was shocked how true to the original titles Reincarnated was although co-op vs AI was sorely missed. This was one of the best things about the original game and should NOT be optional!

Yeah, looks like it. They state in their press release that they haven't forgotten about the their original supporters, PC gamers, but they aren't putting their money where their mouth is. If they really cared about their original backers, they'd do a PC release first and then scale that down to consoles.

What's more likely to happen is consoles get the game and then the PC gets some buggy mess months after that. Either way, I can't see anyone being excited about them tailoring a game to the dumb masses first and then bringing it back to the PC "Yay, we're going to make more money at the cost of gameplay and graphics" was what they were thinking. Nine out of Ten times it turns out poorly.

Back