Carrying laptop while it is on

Status
Not open for further replies.

poertner_1274

I don't know anything technical about laptops, but I just bought one. I am planning on taking it to my classes to take notes with. So I was wondering if it is ok to leave it on, just shut the case to take it from my house to my class. It seems to me that it would be bad to do that, but I don't know. It really isn't that big of a deal to shut it down and restart it, but I would rather just take it while it is on and bring it back w/o having to restart twice in an hour.

I think the only major issue to consider is what your power saving settings are for when the screen is closed. If the hard disk heads are parked when the computer suspends then its probably fine. I have only travelled short distances with a laptop in suspend mode (screen closed), for example from an office to a meeting room in the same building but on different floors. Personally if you are travelling by any means other than foot then I would shut the laptop down and boot up again.

The should be options available in the BIOS or Power Options in control panel to allow you to specify that it should suspend to Ram when the screen is closed. This should allow the safest transport of it while its on. Saying that depending on the speed of the laptop, booting up take roughly the same time as waking up from suspend mode (if this is why you want to avoid booting up several times in a short period of time)

Thank you Arris. I am probably going to shut it down and restart it everytime, but i do have my settings to shut down hard disks when suspended, but I didn't know if all these shutdowns and startups in a short time would be bad. I guess I'll just have to play it by year. Thanks again.

I wouldnt worry about it too much. Just close it and go. Shutting it down can be a pain when you are in a rush.

Thanks guys, I will try it out and if it acts funny I guess I won't do it anymore. :( Oh well I'll let you know how it turns out.

Well I took it to class and nothing bad seemed to happen. Thanks guys for the support, cause I probably wouldn't have done it if you hadn't told me it would probably be ok.

Why not set it to Hybernate automatically when the laptop is closed? When you get to your destination hit the power button and it will resume where you left off.

FYI: Hybernate saves the current status and memory to the harddisk and then shuts the system down. It reloads everything back when you turn the system back on. I think it's the perfect solution for your situation.

I don't see anything wrong with carrying your laptop while it is on. In addition, many people have car mounts so they can use their laptop while driving. Most police officers in the US do just that all day long. I don't think you need to worry about travelling by foot or vehicle with the laptop on. Even the forces of a minor accident are unlikely to damage the harddrive.

Originally posted by Elcarion
I don't see anything wrong with carrying your laptop while it is on. In addition, many people have car mounts so they can use their laptop while driving. Most police officers in the US do just that all day long. I don't think you need to worry about travelling by foot or vehicle with the laptop on. Even the forces of a minor accident are unlikely to damage the harddrive.

"unlikely to damage the harddrive"...
Yes it is unlikely but still possible if the hard disk heads are not parked, a better safe than sorry situation ;)
As you say Hybernate/Suspend to ram etc is the best way to be able to transport a laptop while it is switched on.

Some laptops shutoff when you fold the screen down.. So be wary of that.

I see no harm in it, as long as you don't decide to go jogging with it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back