Carvana will sell you a vehicle from its giant car vending machine

Shawn Knight

Staff member

One of the many highlights during my first trip to Las Vegas for CES many moons ago was a vending machine that sold electronics (iPods, headphones, speaker docks and so forth). The idea of automating the purchase of such items made a lot of sense and had me questioning why other industries hadn’t taken advantage of the concept.

Carvana, a technology startup founded in Phoenix in 2013, has embraced the vending machine idea in a way that’s sure to grab attention (and hopefully, customers). The online auto dealer has created a five-story, 20-car vending machine that customers use to select and “deliver” vehicles they’ve recently purchased.

Located just outside of Nashville, the car vending machine is an incredibly cool concept although there’s no denying that it’s also a clever marketing gimmick. Customers drop an oversized custom coin into the vending machine which tells the robotics which vehicle to pluck and transport to one of three customer delivery bays.

Carvana maintains that in addition to a unique buying experience, the vending machine allows the company to employ fewer staff and maintain less inventory, thus reducing how much lot space is needed and drastically reducing its overhead. The savings are passed on to the consumer as the company claims it sells cars for an average of $2,000 less than the competition. They’ll even give you a $200 travel stipend if you don’t live near Music City but want to experience the process in person.

Permalink to story.

Carvana? As in Nirvana for cars? We already have Teavana for tea... is this 'vana' suffix going to be the next annoying fad phrase? I thought adding 'ware' to the end of every type of conceivable software was annoying....

'Oh, I'm sorry, you can't buy a car today, the Carvana vending hydraulics are broken, and we can't get the cars out of the parking lot."

I have another great idea.... it's called a JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS MAT!

Carvana? As in Nirvana for cars? We already have Teavana for tea... is this 'vana' suffix going to be the next annoying fad phrase? I thought adding 'ware' to the end of every type of conceivable software was annoying....

Accounting Soft just sounds so much better right? Don't need that annoying "ware" at the end of that word. Just be sure to install the right soft when upgrading your hard... I'm sorry but soft with "ware" is kind of an important part of the tech world, even if it annoys you.

Accounting Soft just sounds so much better right? Don't need that annoying "ware" at the end of that word. Just be sure to install the right soft when upgrading your hard... I'm sorry but soft with "ware" is kind of an important part of the tech world, even if it annoys you.
I was referring to software that spies being called 'spyware' while if it just is generally annoying it's 'malware', while if it's nice it's 'careware'. If it's free, then it's 'freeware', if it's for everyone then it's 'shareware' and if it looks like it does something, but really doesn't then it's 'vaporware'.

Get it?

kthnxbai (since we were on the topic of annoying internet leetspeak.)
Now excuse me, I have to go listen to some Deadmau5

I was referring to software that spies being called 'spyware' while if it just is generally annoying it's 'malware', while if it's nice it's 'careware'. If it's free, then it's 'freeware', if it's for everyone then it's 'shareware' and if it looks like it does something, but really doesn't then it's 'vaporware'.

Then how would you describe all you examples without the use of "ware". Try coming up with a better word than spyware that gets the message across in less than one word without the use of "ware" while still maintaining the severity of what it is. Are you equally dissatisfied with the use of "port" in words? Seaport, Airport, Carport, ect?

I would take a high speed railway to get to my driveway to have a three-way in my hallway if the girls were bi-way. Just sayin.

Back