TechSpot

CAS Latency Question

By Route44
Apr 15, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T430 that I configured with 4 gigs of RAM (budget constraints at the time). It is in single channel (Lenovo never mentioned this tidbit of info; the sad part is both my wife's and daughter's 1st Generation Thinkpad Edge came with 4 gigs of dual channel at 7 timings). My CAS Latency is currently 11.

I am wanting to double the RAM to 8 gigs dual channel and I have the option of CAS Latency at either 9 or 11.

This laptop is used for business such as Office work, internet, email, streaming video, etc. In real world applications would I even notice the difference between my system running either 9 or 11 timings?

Thanks.

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,064   +919

I dont think it makes much of a difference. But of course, lower latency is better, but it doesnt mean it will bring a big performance boost. The boost will be miniscule.

Route44 likes this.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,474   +329

Agree

Route44 likes this.
  4. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] Hello, nice to meet you! Posts: 4,377   +127

Even single channel is not even a big deal.

Route44 likes this.
  5. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 12,168   +37

I think the biggest difference will be going from 4 gigs to 8. And hellokitty you are correct about single channel. I have been reading lately how there really isn't that much of a difference between single and dual even in gaming unless one goes for the highest end memory that has low latency and low voltage which will cost some serious $.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.