TechSpot

Case fan does not spin

By Tzatziki
Mar 4, 2007
  1. cooling fan located on the back of my pc isnt spinning. Plus this pc i just bought 4 days ago, however the fan randomly come son during a reboot and then doesnt work. what could it be thats causing the fan to work then to stop spinning?, or what should i do?...and my audio on my pc is acting weird..movement with the mouse or keyboard, or any loading of anything possible. it would cause static and cracking, its getting annoying. check the link below, hopefully the guy isnt right. any tips would be great thanks.

http://support.intergraph.com/itservices/iarticles/50970089.pdf

2. GameJunkie72792

GameJunkie72792 TS Maniac Posts: 357

well personally if it were mine i would take it back to the place i bought it, assuming you bought it at a store, breaking into it and messing with it could void your manufacturers warranty, and the fan problem may not be a problem, you fan could be regulated to kick in at certain temps, i know the newer compaq presarios are set up like that. and what kind of computer is it?

3. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,290   +25

It's probably the PSU.

4. GameJunkie72792

GameJunkie72792 TS Maniac Posts: 357

that would account for the cracking in the sound, i fixed that problem with my comp couple months back, by buying a new psu. this one here should do for you, but still i would have the manfacturer take care of it...

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,654   +323

Its likely a thermally controlled fan, once the motherboard or cpu temperature breaks a certain threshold it kicks on.

6. Rage_3K_Moiz

But don't thermally-regulated fans usually spin continuously at a low RPM, and then rev up when temps go too high?

7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,654   +323

On my A64 system I have the fan stay off until a certain temp. It gives me a CPU Fan Failure! warning when I start up and I have to press F1 to continue, but the fan doesn't spin up unless I'm doing something fairly intensive.

8. Tzatziki

Tzatziki TS Rookie Topic Starter

i'm gonna take my pc back during the week when i have sometime on my hands.

Vista Premium
    Intel core 2 duo e6400 2.13g
    Sata2 320.0gb Seagate 7200. 16m
    p4 s775 asus p5b 965p pcie
    650W Aliment ATX Antec True650 Trio
    4gb's of ram KVR 667mhz DDR2
    MSI PCIE GF8 8800 GTS 640m

I highly doubt its my hardware, might be vista. But i'm still gonna take it back for a check up.

9. Rage_3K_Moiz

Software and OSs like Vista rarely (if at all) affect the fan failing to spin. It has to be a hardware problem.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.