Case fans; better circulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raie_noire

Okay, here's the low-down.

this is my case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811144102

I was just wondering what size fans i would put on to have better circulation.
Currently i have the outtake fan on top and 2 intake fans (back and side).

I'm not completely sure if this is considered hot, but my ambient temperature is reaching 95F while doing nothing (no programs running). Is that a bit too hot?
If so, what fans should i plug in to decrease my ambient temperature? (120mm fan on the front for intake? 120mm fan on back for outake?)

suggestions please.
thanks.

Sorry, but I gotta ask...

1.Are the fans all installed in the right direction? 2. This case is seems to be a little bit of a lightweight in the ventilation department.
(Most Mid-tower cases have 120mm fans front and rear, plus a side air duct for the processor).

captaincranky said:
1.Are the fans all installed in the right direction? 2. This case is seems to be a little bit of a lightweight in the ventilation department.
(Most Mid-tower cases have 120mm fans front and rear, plus a side air duct for the processor).

Honestly, i'm not quite sure. I'm not the one who put this computer together.

The side intake is directly beside the processor, so that should be fine. So what you're saying is that i should invest in 2 120mm fans (install on front and back)?

Also, i did a little bit of snooping around and the top fan might be an intake fan. Not sure though.

Generally (and in your case) you want the front fan blowing in. Side fan if there is one, blowing in. Top fan blowing out. Rear fan blowing out. If yours is not set up like that, change it. If it is there isn't much else you can do to change your ambient temps in the case.

I followed the link but.....

The link does connect to an Apevia case....However the specs on that page claim it doesn't have a side air duct. If you say it does, it does, so Newegg must have their specs crossed. Generally (way generally), the case is shipped with the size fans that it accomodates. My bad, I checked again, and the pictures show a side air duct, sorry. The manufacturers are using the 120mm fans out of deference to noise, big fans run slower, while moving more air. If the top fan isn't blowing in your face, reverse it.

raie_noire said:
...Currently i have the outtake fan on top and 2 intake fans (back and side).

The rear fan in your case is intake? That's not right. Just as SNGX1275 said, your rear fan should be blowing out.

captaincranky said:
The link does connect to an Apevia case....However the specs on that page claim it doesn't have a side air duct. If you say it does, it does, so Newegg must have their specs crossed. Generally (way generally), the case is shipped with the size fans that it accomodates. My bad, I checked again, and the pictures show a side air duct, sorry. The manufacturers are using the 120mm fans out of deference to noise, big fans run slower, while moving more air. If the top fan isn't blowing in your face, reverse it.

Okay, well here's another link to the actual specs of the case:
http://aspireusa.net/product.php?pid=152&xcSID=39a780cf4a47c432899098a59f025469

just wondering. Is a 120mm fan able to fit in the rear? It doesn't really say in the specs.

I'm less confused now, but still more than I should be!

Actually that link is a link to a link! (Apevia's new web site) .
I looks to me that the rear case fan is on an adapter and the rear grille is sized for a 120mm. You should be able to mount a larger fan at the rear.
The front fan mounts are 80mm only, but you can install 2 80s. This is where it gets bizarre, the pictures show a side fan but nowhere is it mentioned. The case comes with a fan controller for 5!! fans. They only mention 4, top, rear, and two fronts! Well they're reorganizing and probably are a little confoozed at the moment. The manual is too large for me to attach (1.06 MB). Here's the actual link: http://www.apevia.com/product.php?pid=157 The manual (PDF) is on this page.

captaincranky said:
Actually that link is a link to a link! (Apevia's new web site) .
I looks to me that the rear case fan is on an adapter and the rear grille is sized for a 120mm. You should be able to mount a larger fan at the rear.
The front fan mounts are 80mm only, but you can install 2 80s. This is where it gets bizarre, the pictures show a side fan but nowhere is it mentioned. The case comes with a fan controller for 5!! fans. They only mention 4, top, rear, and two fronts! Well they're reorganizing and probably are a little confoozed at the moment. The manual is too large for me to attach (1.06 MB). Here's the actual link: http://www.apevia.com/product.php?pid=157 The manual (PDF) is on this page.

Okay, so what i should do is to buy a 120mm fan (rear) and a 5.25" fan for the front?

HuH????......

Exactly what WTF is a 5.25" fan? Optical drives fit into 5.25" bays.
You should swap the 80mm fan from the rear to the front, put a 120mm (fan) into the rear, and if you feel the need, buy an additional 80mm (fan) for the front. With 2 80mm (fans) up front you're going to reach the threshold of needing earplugs. But, as always, get a second opinion about the earplugs.

captaincranky said:
Exactly what WTF is a 5.25" fan? Optical drives fit into 5.25" bays.
You should swap the 80mm fan from the rear to the front, put a 120mm (fan) into the rear, and if you feel the need, buy an additional 80mm (fan) for the front. With 2 80mm (fans) up front you're going to reach the threshold of needing earplugs. But, as always, get a second opinion about the earplugs.

This: http://www.xoxide.com/scythe-kama-bay-cooler-black.html
is a 5.25" fan thingy.

I Quit, You Win.....

I can't see any value in installing that product whatsoever. I'm trying to attach 2 screen caps, maybe somebody else has a different opinion. My best advice is to download the product manual and install fans in the mounting places provided. If you install the Kama Bay "5.25 Fan Thingy" as an intake fan it takes up 3 optical drive bays. So after that I have no idea whatsoever where you would install your CD & DVD drives. If you mount it inside a bay it looks like it would just circulate hot air. Maybe someone has some different ideas, so please look at the pictures.

Attachments

• Kama Bay Fan003.jpg
    Kama Bay Fan003.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Kama Bay Fan004.jpg
    Kama Bay Fan004.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 5
captaincranky said:
I can't see any value in installing that product whatsoever. I'm trying to attach 2 screen caps, maybe somebody else has a different opinion. My best advice is to download the product manual and install fans in the mounting places provided. If you install the Kama Bay "5.25 Fan Thingy" as an intake fan it takes up 3 optical drive bays. So after that I have no idea whatsoever where you would install your CD & DVD drives. If you mount it inside a bay it looks like it would just circulate hot air. Maybe someone has some different ideas, so please look at the pictures.

i already have my cd/dvd drive in, and still have 3 slots, so that's what i was thinking of.

Ummm...

raie_noire said:
i already have my cd/dvd drive in, and still have 3 slots, so that's what i was thinking of.

As I said I'm mystified with the concept, but the Ante 900 case uses a similar strategy to the "Kama Thingy". In their P180 "Performance" series cases they don't even use a side fan.
Your case comes with a 5 way fan controller, so I don't know how much you took my remark about "earplugs" to heart. 80 mm fans tend to be noisy because they must turn very fast to move sufficient air. However with 2 80mm fans in play, they can be throttled back significantly and still move a good bit of air. Most cases do use front 120s however. Speaking for myself I don't have a machine with only 1 optical drive so I would be reluctant to give up the bays. I'm still at a loss to know if you actually have cooling problems that can't be rectified with other solutions than the Kama fan. You haven't even exhausted your stock cooling improvements. You know the 120 in the rear and at least 1 80 in front. Replace the flat IDE cables with round ones for more air flow, like that. Do that, then come back when you know more. The air in the case is going to be above ambient room temperature. Are all the fans pointing in the right direction.? That Pentium D is going to run pretty hot no matter what.

Wake UP...

raie_noire said:
just wondering. Is a 120mm fan able to fit in the rear? It doesn't really say in the specs.

a 120 mm fan fits in a Approximately 4" hole. The instructions show a 3" fan in the middle of a 4" hole. Since you have this case in front of you and I'll give the benefit of the doubt that you can actually read a ruler. You tell me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back