Case Firewire doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellokitty[hk]

I have an APEVIA X-JUPITER-JR S-Type X-JPJST-MG Metallic Grey SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail case with a six pin firewire on top, along with two USB and two audio hubs and i'm trying to transfer high quality video from my Sony DCR-HC96 to my computer with a firewire cable I bought. I'm pretty sure I connected the cable properly, as there are only two places on my motherboard that fit the hub's wire. One says audio and my motherboard stops beeping if I disconnect it. Both USB hubs work fine, and so do both audio hubs. The wire looks fine and plugs in snugly, but I have no other ways of testing it, so I can't tell if its the cable or the case. Nothing seems to happen most of the time when I plug in the firewire. My camcorder has never recognized the firewwire cable (USB works, but has lower quality). Twice my computer has given me a balloon saying found new USB device, then saying USB device did not install properly and might not work, that only happens every millionth time though.
If possible, I would like to get my firewire cable working, or find a way to get the same quality on USB. If not, I would look into buying a firewire expansion on my computer.

First, let me say i've never tested (or i think even used) 1394 firewire but still some things come to mind just thought to pass along

I think power related issues are often cause of Firewire, Network and USB connections

1) Network LAN problems have sometimes been resolved by disabling 1394 connections. If only-for-the-heck-of-it, try disabling your LAN and wireless when trying the firewire
2) Connect all device AC adapters when testing. Especially Including any for your camera
3) USB device not recognized issues are, in particular, often related to power issues I'd add)
>> Cameras, are high powered USB devices, requiring a high-powered USB port (500mA) vs a low powered USB device (only needs up to a 100mA)
>> But i've also seen issue when devices really want more then 500mA and/or the computer doesn't supply the USB 500mA spec. You might also try buying a self-powered USB hub (comes with an AC adapter) AND it can provide ports that EXCEEDS USB spec (e.g. my Targus hub has 2 ports that supply 1000mA)..

>> Cameras, are high powered USB devices, requiring a high-powered USB port (500mA) vs a low powered USB device (only needs up to a 100mA)
I was thinking something of the case firewire not being very good and ending up with a power issue, but the case USB's work fine, and the camera has its own AC adapter, I don't know if thats why.

1) Network LAN problems have sometimes been resolved by disabling 1394 connections. If only-for-the-heck-of-it, try disabling your LAN and wireless when trying the firewire
In windows? Refresh my memory :).

I was thinking something of the case firewire not being very good and ending up with a power issue, but the case USB's work fine, and the camera has its own AC adapter, I don't know if thats why.

Yep, if camera has AC adapter (and you plug it in) that would help. AC adapter (and plugged in) wasn't clear before (and you also mentioned the "USB found" balloon. This occurs when the USB controller and root hub think they detect a hardware change on the USB bus - which might be due to power fluctuations thus i mentioned it)

In windows? Refresh my memory :).
Yep windows. Google something like 1394 disable lan probem. Here's one hit "Re: Unable to connect with LAN games
You know I had this same problem and I ended up having to turn my 1934 connection to disable
."

Shortcut is to install a new USB/Firewire card in a PCI slot, and remove or disable the old one... You will likely have the new one up and running before you repair the old one.

Disabling network connections didn't work. I must say I suspect that case IEEE =.=.

Shortcut is to install a new USB/Firewire card in a PCI slot, and remove or disable the old one... You will likely have the new one up and running before you repair the old one.
Any suggestions on a pci firewire?

HK, I just installed a pci firewire card in an old (yet brand new out of the the box) full tower Xaser II case.

Here is the link on the model I got: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815150074

Windows immediately recognized it. I like the idea it has the Texas Instrument chip. The reason I needed to have the internal connection was because the front firewire post came with cable that I could just plug in.

I did a lot research before purchasing this one because it fit my need. Note, however, that newer models do have both the older 400mbs and the 800mbs combined.

The Syba PCI 32 bit SD-FWB-32B for lower priced buys,
or
SIIG's NN-E20112-S2 if you have a little more money.

www.directron. has many different ones to compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back