Case of the Missing Files...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dusthazard

Howdy folks!

My friend's having some problems with his Win98 machine...

A while back, his desktop shortcuts were multipliying like bunnies and when he cut his computer on, he found many copies of the same shortcut.

Well, after that, I formatted his computer and did reinstall of Win98 and put in some more RAM.

Well, it's been a while, now it's doing some stuff again... a folder on his desktop that he keeps his files in has dissapeared and is not in the recycle bin. His keyboard is occasionally locking up on him...

Very strange. I would think his harddrive is going bad... but, I'm not sure. I wanted to see what opinions you techspotters have.

Thansk!
DH

Well to start things off this sounds like a VIRUS....
Has he installed the latest anti-virus? How about running an anti-spyware? This is a strange problem to have, especially since you re-installed, but it sounds to me like he has downloaded some sort of crap that is mucking up his system.
Ask about recent downloads...or installations of songs, programs, or applications.
This will help determine if it is malicious activity. Especially if it was in his email and he downloaded it before the format, then again after.

Personally, I've never had a virus... or, I've never had one that got in my way or realized. So, that would have never occured to me. I'll check it out. But, all he really does is play games.....and..... hang out on those file sharing networks. Maybe that is where he got it... very strange. I'll install some temporary VirusScanner and see if anything shows up...

Anymore ideas?

DH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back