Cat5?? Cable, How much is too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstpaintball

Alright, well many of you may have seen my question about wireless networking (I wanted to take my connection from my living room and have a wireless setup to my bedroom for my consoles), well I've decided if I'm ever gonna have enough money sometime in the near future to get a new video card, I'm going to have to skimp out on the wireless network setup.

So, a friend of mine's dad works for comcast, and for whatever reason he has a big spool of Cat5 (I think its called this) cable. Said I could have whatever I needed for free, so hey why not??

Anyways, from my living room to my bedroom is about 40 feet, so I'm thinking I'm probably going to need about 50/60 feet to run this cable through my living room floor, through my basement, and up into my bedroom, with some slack in each room.

My main question is, is this too much cable? Will I be experiencing a lot of signal loss? Just trying to figure out if its going to be worth the trouble trying to run this cable.

The maximum length a Cat 5 cable can go before a signal repeater or booster is needed is approximately 90 to 100m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back