Cat5E-Plug Too Big for Consoles Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstpaintball

So, some of you guys may have see my question about how much Cat5E cable was too much, and would cause signal loss.

....well now I've got a new problem.

As I said, a friend of mine's dad works for Comcast and gave me like 80feet of Cat5E, with plugs and tools to set it up. (Pretty nice guy he is).

Well to run this cable from my living room to my bedroom is going to be quite a task, since most of my basement is concrete/above ground, the only part that isnt, is the part below my living room. So in other words, I'm going to have to drill a hole in the floor in my living room and crawl through a small hole in my basement on dirt to pull the cable though to the concreted section of my basement, and up into my bedroom.

Well, I figured earlier that it would be a good idea before attempting this, to check and make sure the plugs I was given with the Cat5E would fit in my console's modems....the plugs didn't fit.
I really won't be able to find anything out for probably a couple more days (at least) from my friend's dad. So I was hoping someone would know the answer on here.

I checked the cable that is plugged into my cable modem, and it fit fine in my consoles.

The plugs I was given appear to be more rectangle shaped, when the plug that is in my modem appears to be more squared shaped(this is the plug that fit).

Was I just given the wrong plugs to hook it up? Or do I need a different type of cabling?

CAT5 (or even higher or lower) uses an RJ-45 connection. A standard modem port that uses a phone connection uses RJ-11. They are different types of connections.

Yes, sorry....

Forgot to mention that I am trying to plug this into the Broadband connection ports on these gaming consoles.

Xbox has a Broadband only port, plug appears too wide to fit.

PS2 has both a Phone port, and a Broadband port, plug appeared to be too wide for the broadband port.

And I currently dont have a modem for my
Gamecube, eh, but theres only like 2 online games for Gamecube, lol.

Are you totally sure that the cable you are attempting to plug in is really a CAT5E cable? You could have been given a different cable accidentally.

Its printed Category 5E on the cable.

Also, the cable that is plugged into my Cable Modem, fit just fine in my PS2 Broadband Port.

Thanks

Well, he did do one already on one end of the cabling. So I decided to see if that plug would fit in the Broadband ports....it did.

So whats up with this? Do the RJ45 (they're called this right?) plugs get smaller or something after they are crimped?
Cause I compared the plug he did to the others in the box with the crimper and they appear to be the same size and everything.
The very tip, at the beginning on the top of the plug, catches as I try to insert into the the Broadband ports, but on the one plug he did, it doesn't catch, and goes in smoothly.

Put the Cat5E on the cable, crimped it, and now it fits just fine. I think the Gold Pins on the front of the plugs get pulled up slightly when crimped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back