Catalyst 7.6 Installation Issues

By thebaronjocelin
Jun 27, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've got a Sapphire Radeon X1900GT (as is listed in the specs), which is running now on an nForce 4 motherboard. I downloaded the Catalyst 7.6 drivers as soon as they came out, when I saw the article on the TechSpot homepage banner.

Well, I went to install them without .NET Framework 2.0 installed, and for a few days before I had .NET it gave me an error message at userinit saying that the program "MOM.exe" could not be initialized. I figured this was because CLI couldn't start with .NET 2.0, so I ignored it for a while.

Then, I downloaded and installed .NET 2.0, and reinstalled the drivers. However, when I go into DirectX Diagnostic (dxdiag) and look at the driver version under the "Display Tab", it shows 6.14.0010.6698 (English) as the core driver.

Also, I've been having some issues with artifacting, especially in more modern games like Medieval 2:Total War, and Call of Juarez.

EDIT 06/27/07, 6:36 PM:
    The artifacting is getting progressively more severe (as in consistent, full-screen flashes of color and white light), and now it's started to give me an error message saying that the VPU has stopped responding to driver commands, and has thus been reset. Oh, surely lords, it is a bright and a plague as true as mine two eyes can see.
  2. MMDominator88

MMDominator88 Newcomer, in training Posts: 152

What about totally un-installing all ATI related software from the computer, reboot, and re-install the ATI drivers and Catalyst Control Center and AVIVO, etc.
  3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,279   +180

It sounds like your graphics card might be overheating. Is the graphics card fan still operating at full speed?
  4. thebaronjocelin

thebaronjocelin TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 196

I have, in fact, done that. Or at least, I went to search, entered ati*.* as a query, and deleted everything that came up. Then reinstalled. The same issue occurs.

That's what I believed, I just wasn't sure if that was reliable. I'll take a look at the temps in tray tools, and clock the fan up a little. Part of it, I think, could be the fact that I've placed it in a cabinet. So the side and rear fans theoretically recirculate air into themselves. It's a tough system, and I'm thinking about moving it.
  5. mailpup

For test purposes take it out of the cabinet and see if that helps. You could take it a step further and remove one of the sides of the PC case for even more ventilation. If the artifacting stops, you may have found the problem.
  6. thebaronjocelin

Took a look at the heatsink on the video card.
    For reference purposes, the device my card uses to cool is a heatsink run over the length of the card, with a fan at the base blowing air off the sink through a number of tiny vents.
    Anyways, the vents were clogged with lint, heaven knows how it got in there, but it was there. Anyways, I moved it out of the cabinet and onto a desk, and set everything up.
    I still don't think this has resolved the driver issue.
  7. mailpup

I have Catalyst suite 7.5 installed and my dxdiag shows the exact same driver version, 6.14.0010.6698. So there's nothing wrong with your driver version. Just curious, do you also have .Net 1.1 installed? I don't know how or if that would affect anything but just wondering.
  8. thebaronjocelin

I had 1.1 installed, took it to 2.0 for Omega drivers.
  9. Stick'o ram

Stick'o ram Newcomer, in training Posts: 233

If I was in your situation I would take your current video card out and try it on another system. Maybe your video card overheated with all that lint and damaged the GPU and you installing the new drivers were just a coencidence. And if possible try putting another video card in the trouble PC and if too causes those problems then its defiently driver related.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.