Cause of Modem Open Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Dell Dimension 3000. The modem in it is not working properly. Dell finally decided to send me a replacement although they don't think it is a hardware problem.

This is the problem. As soon as I plug the modem into the back of the computer, it opens the line (takes the phone of the hook)

Does anyone know what the cause of this might be if it isn't a defective modem????

kb5sxr

"as soon as I plug the modem into the back of the computer..."
Is this an external phone modem?

Have you tried using another phone wall plug?

To get the modem to disconnect you have to unplug the computer and hold down the power button for several seconds to drain any residual electricity then let the computer set for several minutes before plugging back in and booting up. as long as the power is connected to the computer the modem wont reset.

Since this is an ongoing problem, I doubt that the power button idea will work, although that is the first thing to try.
If this is a problem that does not go away when you change modems, it is a software problem. It would be extremely rare that it is a motherboard problem, but it could easily be the modem drivers.
So download a duplicate copy of the drivers from Dell on another machine. Then when you are sure you have the new drivers available. go to Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager and remove or disable the existing drivers.
Shut down.
Move the modem to a different slot.
Reboot.
Install the new set of drivers you recently downloaded.
Do they show up in the device manager?
The modem should now be detected when you reboot.
Go to Control Panel -> Phone and Modem Options -> Modem -> click on Advanced -> Diagnostics -> now click on Query Modem. After several seconds you will get a report on the little screen showing that your modem tests ok.

On some Dells, the Modem Options differ somewhat, as does the Query Modem... but the end result is the same.
Now you should have no more open modem unless your Windows Software needs a reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back