TechSpot

CCleaner finding cookies for the i-net even when I haven't been on and have cleaned

By kemp_Drumsalot
Jan 18, 2008
  1. Attached logs. Please help!

2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

You should remove the following lines from your hijackthis report using the fix tool.
    C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - (no file)
    O16 - DPF: {39B0684F-D7BF-4743-B050-FDC3F48F7E3B} (FilePlanet Download Control Class) - http://www.fileplanet.com/fpdlmgr/cabs/FPDC_1_0_0_44.cab
    O16 - DPF: {DA758BB1-5F89-4465-975F-8D7179A4BCF3} (WheelofFortune Object) - http://messenger.zone.msn.com/binary/WoF.cab31267.cab
    O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

3. kemp_Drumsalot

kemp_Drumsalot TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 66

Well, my computer would not boot up past a selection of safe mode and normal mode for some reason, so we used the hidden hard drive to completely clear everything off. So it shouldn't be a problem anymore, I will send you fresh logs after I get done with everything.

4. kemp_Drumsalot

CCleaner is still finding cookies

Here is a new HJT log, the combofix link on the site no longer works.

5. kemp_Drumsalot

I would love some help if at all possible.

6. Cinders

Cinders TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 872   +12

If you've been using Steam to play games then you've been on. Steam uses Internet Explorer to display the splash screen that some servers have when you join a game, and it uses it to display ads to you after you stop playing games.

I'm no expert but your HJT log seems fine except for a bunch of crap programs and browser settings from HP.

7. kemp_Drumsalot

Alrighty, yes I do use steam, but even when I have exited it and wait for an hour or so there is around 436 temp files in I-net explorer when I don't use IE at all. Thanks for the response though! Oh, and is there anything I should change with regards to all the "crap"? I have all the defaults loaded and haven't got around to changing most of it.

8. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,330   +622

Spybot S&D has a good cookie cleaner and it is free.

you appear to be allowing "3rd party cookies"

check your browser settings and only allow Session and 1st party cookies.

9. kemp_Drumsalot

Yes, I use S-S&D as well as AVG Antispyware. I went to IE and changed the cookie setting to high instead of medium as well as changing some other settings in both my browsers. I only use firefox, sometimes other family members might use IE.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.