CCTV captures the moment an e-cigarette battery explodes next to baby's pram

midian182

Staff member

If you ask someone about exploding batteries, their first response will likely be related to Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7. The handset and its recall were the biggest tech story of the year - possibly the last several years – and is a reminder of how volatile these lithium-ion components can be.

Reports state that it was immense pressure placed on the Note 7’s battery that caused it to explode. But rechargeable lithium-ion batteries can also be a danger when outside of a device, as the CCTV footage above shows.

The video comes from a store in the Trinity Shopping Center, Leeds, UK. It shows an electronic cigarette battery igniting in a man’s pocket as he stood just inches away from a baby’s pram.

The local fire service said the explosion was caused when the man’s spare e-cigarette battery came into contact with a metal item in his pocket, possibly keys or coins, causing a short circuit. He needed first aid treatment afterward, but escaped with “slight injuries.”

The incident took place on September 19, but the West Yorkshire Fire Service only released the footage yesterday. "This is not the first time we have seen injuries caused by a lithium-ion battery exploding whilst being carried in someone’s pocket,” said fire investigator Jamie Lister. “There does not need to be a fault with the battery; the problem is the incorrect storage of the batteries.”

As an ever-increasing number of electronic devices are using lithium-ion batteries, Lister said incidents like these are becoming increasingly common. "There has been a marked increase in the number of fires we have seen, attributable to the incorrect storage of batteries.”

"The use of rechargeable lithium-ion batteries is now commonplace in modern society and that's why we want people to be vigilant because a simple mistake could have a devastating consequence," he said.

E-cigarette users have been advised to carry batteries in a plastic case to prevent them from short-circuiting. Last month, CCTV cameras caught the moment an e-cig exploded in the pocket of a nightclub owner in France.

Permalink to story.

I'm struggling to see what it is in this article that I'm supposed to care about. If it's the babys pram, I honestly couldn't care less about it or its contents. If it's the wimp who can't handle smoking real cigarettes, then see the previous sentence. If it's about the exploding battery, comparing it to Note 7 is just comparing apples and oranges. Although they've flown a little under the radar, electronic cigarettes have a long standing history of exploding, causing much more than just slight injuries and brown trousers. It's not just one badly designed brand either, there's many different types exploding in many different situations, caused by various different faults from bad design to user error.

It's relieving to note that the child wasn't harmed in any way but hopefully that schmuck also learned that he didn't need the placebo effect of any e-smoke gimmick and threw the stupid thing away immediately. If he didn't, then he may as well start supporting the tobacco companies again.

I'm can only see irony in this, seeing as these are smoked because real cigs are deemed more hazardous to your health.

E-cigarette's have become the new scourge of the century. While they have eliminated the cancer causing "tar", they have been loaded up with other equally addictive chemicals, marketed to all including children, and as reported by the CDC, have the same potential health effects. Congress is having to start all over again because of a handful of clever lawyers, but now the dangers are even greater with explosive devices that are unpredictable. This catering to those that lack the will or intelligence to learn to depend upon themselves rather than an outside source will always be susceptible to those that try to exploit them. That is the real crime and that is what our elected leaders should be working to stop.

It's relieving to note that the child wasn't harmed in any way but hopefully that schmuck also learned that he didn't need the placebo effect of any e-smoke gimmick and threw the stupid thing away immediately. If he didn't, then he may as well start supporting the tobacco companies again.

Why you hate vaping? I don't vape or smoke but I don't care if someone else does as long as he/she isn't an *****. If you know how to use and store batteries, and don't vape straight in my face or think you can vape inside where you couldn't smoke I don't have any problem with it. I have a friend that vapes like 5-10 puffs a day and does it outside and doesn't vape next to people, no problem with him. But other friend who vapes non stop, at least 200 puffs a day right next to hes children and inside his home (that now smells like ****) and doesn't consider others when vaping whatsoever, I have actually seen less of him because of this and can see that people like him can piss you off but that's not the vapes fault, it's the horrible persons fault. Vapes attract horrible people I give you that but not all of them are *****s like the guy in this video.

Why you hate vaping? I don't vape or smoke but I don't care if someone else does as long as he/she isn't an *****. If you know how to use and store batteries, and don't vape straight in my face or think you can vape inside where you couldn't smoke I don't have any problem with it. I have a friend that vapes like 5-10 puffs a day and does it outside and doesn't vape next to people, no problem with him. But other friend who vapes non stop, at least 200 puffs a day right next to hes children and inside his home (that now smells like ****) and doesn't consider others when vaping whatsoever, I have actually seen less of him because of this and can see that people like him can piss you off but that's not the vapes fault, it's the horrible persons fault. Vapes attract horrible people I give you that but not all of them are *****s like the guy in this video.
Vaping? Is that what you call it? I never knew people did that just for the hell of it. I've only known them to use those things while trying to quit smoking, and they never worked to my knowledge. Each to their own I suppose. Now where the hell did I put my crack pipe... :D

Why all the hate for ecigs and vaping? Why can't people just enjoy it =P

I've tried them and it's definitely something different, you get the nicotine fix while doing less harm (Apparently). The problem are the douches that leave a trail of strawberry scent... but each to their own.

Everything with a battery nowadays (And for the last tens of years) has the chance to explode.

Anyone stupid enough to put a loose battery in a pocket with their keys or other metal objects has this coming to them. Alkaline batteries can vent as well when the current drain exceeds their limits. Hell, I learned about the dangers of loose batteries next to metallic objects when I was in 3rd-grade science class 33 years ago.

I've been vaping for over 3 years now, and I've never had a battery vent on me, but then again I don't try to blow clouds like Mount St. Helens either.

The issue is most li-ion batteries used in e-cigs are unprotected cells. There is no short circuit or over discharge protection. If you buy quality protected cells, you can't blow them up like in the video. They can still fail in a moderately unsafe manner, but you typically just get a small spark and that's it.

This guy is an ***** for storing loose batteries in his pocket with his spare change and he makes the rest of us vaper's look bad. Why he didn't use a battery case I don't know as most vape shops give them away for free. I've never had an issue with any of my 18650 batteries because I know how to handle them and store/ carry them safely.As for vapers being fake, well that's just rubbish as anyone with a brain knows... they are an alternative to smoking that's much healthier and safer (if your not stupid). I have been a sub ohm vaper for years, I make my own coils and e-juice and I have all the right tools and take all the right precautions and I don't blow vapor in people faces or stink out the place. Anything can be dangerous in the hands of an ***** but most of us vaper's are not *****s as vaping is the smarter choice for dealing with and managing nicotine addiction.

Same reason people hate Prius drivers. They're fake.
I was a 2 pack/day smoker for 18 years. I quit smoking using Chantix, but after several months began getting strong cravings for tobacco again. I met a guy coming out of a store who was vaping, and I started asking him about it. I went and bought my own, and it got rid of my cravings for tobacco. I was still getting the nicotine I wanted, but I could breathe better, smelled better, and could taste better than I could with cigarettes. Hate all you want, but vaping has helped me quit smoking, and my lungs are no longer getting caked with tar.

If you are vaping, you haven't quit. I would say that make anyone fake when they say they quit but continue to rely on a substitute.
So tell me how your change from Sugar to Sweeteners or from normal products to "light" ones is any different? If you are quoting, why don't you quote the rest?
I was still getting the nicotine I wanted, but I could breathe better, smelled better, and could taste better than I could with cigarettes.
That's enough. He quit on cigarettes.

I was a 2 pack/day smoker for 18 years. I quit smoking using Chantix, but after several months began getting strong cravings for tobacco again. I met a guy coming out of a store who was vaping, and I started asking him about it. I went and bought my own, and it got rid of my cravings for tobacco. I was still getting the nicotine I wanted, but I could breathe better, smelled better, and could taste better than I could with cigarettes. Hate all you want, but vaping has helped me quit smoking, and my lungs are no longer getting caked with tar.

Same addiction different delivery mechanism. You didn't quit anything.

That said, the health benefits are not in dispute. I said they're fake, not worse.

E-cigarette's have become the new scourge of the century. While they have eliminated the cancer causing "tar", they have been loaded up with other equally addictive chemicals, marketed to all including children, and as reported by the CDC, have the same potential health effects. Congress is having to start all over again because of a handful of clever lawyers, but now the dangers are even greater with explosive devices that are unpredictable. This catering to those that lack the will or intelligence to learn to depend upon themselves rather than an outside source will always be susceptible to those that try to exploit them. That is the real crime and that is what our elected leaders should be working to stop.

The CDC have been lying to the public through the voice of the FDA. A Senator, two Congressmen and a new appointed individual who will be heading up the FDA have told the CDC to cease. The E-Cigarette industry does NOT advertise to children or teenagers. They have learned this all on their own because the "hardware" are the best devices to use liquid pot in. They learn it through their friends. Yes, some flavors are geared to "fruity or candy" flavors but it's the adults that are asking for those. The majority of vapors are not into cotton candy or grape flavors and if you taste them on the tongue, I guarantee that the taste is bitter and not something you would want to "lick or swallow". Second problem with your statement is the "chemicals" in the liquid e-juice contain: deionized or distilled water, PG (Propylene Glycol....and don't tell me it's anti-freeze) or VG (Vegetable Glycerin) or a mixture of both which is the base to carry the nicotine and the flavoring in. The last few ingredients in the average e-juice is food flavoring. As of August, Diacetyl, an organic flavoring has been banned in all e-juices made in the US. It was linked to lung cancer in a heated state. I agree with that decision. The list above is all FDA approved and the nicotine is extracted by two companies in the US.....Alchem, the largest uses USP, grade FDA approved nicotine. There are NO additional chemicals added to the e-juice that are known carcinogen cancer causing chemicals and nicotine is not a carcinogen. The CDC has labeled it a low class poison. When used at 50% or higher concentrate, it can be harmful if absorbed through the skin. However, the public and companies that purchase nicotine can only buy it at 10-12% in a PG or VG mixture. This level of nicotine is extremely safe for consumption. In fact there has never been one report from the FDA or CDC of a human death from an overdose of nicotine consumption. One man was convicted of murdering his wife using nicotine poisoning but he used the 40/60 blend that was used as a pesticide before the FDA banned in in the mid 1980's.

One more point about nicotine. The FDA has also lied about the 225 reported poisoning of children who consumed e-juice. First of all. the highest concentration of nicotine that can be purchased is 3.4% in any bottle of consumer sold e-juice. Second, The CDC has stated on there website, that nicotine CAN NOT be absorbed through the stomach. The acids in the stomach neutralizes nicotine and it just becomes waste. It has to be absorbed through the skin or through the lungs. In order to make a young child ill, they would have to be exposed to a percentage level of 25% of nicotine or higher and that would not be lethal.

The exploding batteries is only a problem if you put the device in a pocket and the button is depressed for more than 10 seconds. The battery heats up too high and causes it to catch on fire. These cheap batteries should be removed from consumers because the people who buy them don't read the WARNING printed on the information paper that comes with them on how to use them. The modern batteries have fail-safe shut off switches if the button is depressed for more than 10 seconds. It's also not advised that any lithium battery in any device that is not supervised, be charged. E-cig batteries, just like cell phones can overheat during the charging process.

In conclusion, the e-cigarette industry has been proven to be a safer alternative to analog cigarettes. With any industry, there is the good and the bad and it is up to the consumer to educate themselves on what is right for them. For the most part, this industry has given an additional choice for those who want to quit. It's less expensive than patches, gum and prescribed pills. They all have 50/50 success rate. The e-cig business has been a great way to help those who want to quit. You can lower the level of nicotine and slowly lower the addiction to the nicotine all the way to 0%. The 0% helps those who still need to continue with the habit of the hand-to-mouth sensation or for those who enjoy the various flavors offered in the business.

Back