cd autorun

Status
Not open for further replies.

suszannah

Hi there, hoping someone can give me some new ideas on this (easy please) my autorun on cd drive seemed to vanish a while back, I have checked the registry settings 91/145 (with a little help)....

I have also checked everything in properties (E drive) and they all seem fine....

I have run Microsofts autofix and that showed up nothing, really stuck now, no idea what else to try.......

I was advised to run Combofix a few weeks ago and it quarantined 'autorun.inf.vir' from my D drive (recovery drive) although avast and superantispy say it is clean, problems did start before this file was moved....

Hp Pavillion a708.uk
xp Home
SP2 all patches in place

any help appreciated

Try uninstalling your drive in device manager then rebooting your pc, it may help.

Thank you for that, but unsure how to do it, as I don't have any disks, all preinstalled by HP I just have a recovery drive....... :(

The lack of a windows disk wont be a problem.

Click start, control panel, switch to classic view if its not already on it. Click on system then hardware then device manager. Open cd/dvd rom drives, locate your drive and right click and select uninstall.

When you reboot your pc it will automatically pick up the drive and install it.

It may or may not cure your problem, let me know how you get on.

Well have tried Rik's solution, found new hardware on reboot.........nope no autorun, it is more annoying than anything else I want to know where it went and why lol

Really nervous of the registry, not that confident on it......is there an easier way?

It could quite easily be caused by malware. If you want to have your system checked out then go to the Security and the Web forum, read all the sticky threads, then make a post there.

hi Rik, i am a a member of the avast forum, had a serious infection of 'vundo' a few months ago....(that was a bad one)..... :(

Used superantispy, spyware terminator, Avg....eventually cleared it (6 pages on avast forum lol)
Think that thread will go down in history!!!!

so everything is scanned, scanned and rescanned, if anything gets in here, it deserves a medal lol

Hey neighbour....... Beddau near pontypridd

Think I better get the guy out to see to it, have an extended warranty so if I need a new drive it will be FREE lol

Got the addy down, sure i will need more help soon lol
Thank you for all your help......

will be a regular here from now on ......... :)

Well just a little update..... called the warranty people they are going to put a new cd/dvd drive in for me on monday.......watch this space :)

Hi again, Tech guy came out, installed new cd/dvd writer.....and guess what.... 'No Autorun' he says its a software problems somewhere.....
which is a great help to me :)

Guess I will just have to learn to live with it :)

You should have a file autorun.inf on your system somewhere and the path command should be pointing at the host directory, size about 29k. Have a search and see if it is there - perhaps renamed to autorun.old?

Thanks Codex, it's not a major disaster, but thank you anyway :)

Hi Albert, There was such a file in my D drive (recovery) 'autorun.inf.vir' Combofix quarantined it and as I was told it was safe to delete it, so I did ..........

thanks james... a query mine was set last week to 91/145 what does this setting mean?

lol I bet you wished you hadn't met me ;)

James...... you will not believe this (dancing here) lol

as a last resort I use microsoft autofix...(for the third time) and it worked

maybe the combination of a new drive...... and uninstall of Spyware Terminator

so nice to have it back...... :) :)

install the Windows XP Powertool "TweakUI" and search for autorun, then enable/disable autorun feature on any drive you want.
in your case, enable it on your Disc Drive.

Well I have just installed Nero Essentials and it's huge I only want smartstart and nero vision, can I just have those instead of half a gig of things I will never use?

Has enough manuals to fill a library... lol no idea where to start :)

yeah... you should choose custom setup to install only the feature that you want.
or go to add/remove programs from control and select NERO and click on "Change"

Thank you all for your help and advice......seems to be going a lot better and used the custom install on Nero.......so can give you all some peace for a little while...... ;)

Not all CDs will start automatically when inserted. They must contain a file called AUTORUN.INF. If the CD has autorun.inf and does not automatically run, perform the following steps to ensure the CD-ROM drive setting Auto Insert Notification is checked.

Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
The Control Panel window appears.
Double-click the System icon.
Click the Device Manager tab.
Click the plus (+) sign next to CDROM.
Double-click the CD-ROM drive model.
Click the Settings tab.
If the Auto Insert Notification checkbox is unchecked, click to check it.

Regards Jase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back