CD Burner stoped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

I have a Samsung 52x24x52 CD-RW as well as Easy CD Creator 5. I've been burning stuff to a certain type of disks... TDK brand name and all has gone very very well for me.

Well, lately, with the same disks, my burner doesn't burn into them. It acts like it does, it wastes my time, it makes the noise, the red light showing it's burning is on on the drive.

I take out the CD, try to play/use it, and nothing can read it. It's blank! I can even try to burn something else on it b/c my computer thinks it's a blank!

I haven't recently modified my startup. All my CD utilies and stuff are enabled to boot. It doesn't make sense. Why would it stop working?

I have all the latest patches for everything.

All cables/wires are plugged in snug and correctly.

Thanks for your time.

I have seen bad drives do this, so I would not be surprised if it had finally kicked the bucket.

What I might try here at home is test the CD-Burner in a different system. If it works - Great. You know the problem is with your computer. If it doesn't work, then you know it is bad for sure.

Originally posted by StormBringer
Tried cleaning the drive? Changing write speed? Will it read discs that already have data on them?

Yes it still reads.

Also, how am I supposed to clean it?

You can buy kits to clean a CD drive, or you can open it and clean it using denatured alcohol, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are familiar with it. Also, I don't know if cleaning will do any good since its still able to read discs.

if the drive is still under warranty, RMA it. if you try to open the drive up and clean it, you will void the warranty on your drive.

Have you tried uninstalling it from the device manager and reinstalling it? That has helped with more than one situation I've been in the past.

Originally posted by poertner_1274
Have you tried uninstalling it from the device manager and reinstalling it? That has helped with more than one situation I've been in the past.

I don't really want to resort to this because I love Easy CD Creator 5. I know my burner needs updates from them to work, but sadly, I lost everything... my serial... my proof of purchase... my box... everything... but I still have the CD. I can't download updates so is there any other alternative?

BTW, I also tried burning with Nero, the program that came with my CDRW drive... no luck..

No no no.. You won't have to uninstall your software to uninstall your burner from Device Manager.

Search for more information on www.google.com if you need help using Device Manager.

Originally posted by Rick
No no no.. You won't have to uninstall your software to uninstall your burner from Device Manager.

Search for more information on www.google.com if you need help using Device Manager.

Thanks, but I tried that when poertner told me. I right clicked it, and uninstalled it, and then it was gone. I restarted, and it was back, and still didn't work.

Any ideas?

Also, it's getting worse. It used to recognize blanks but not record them, now it doesn't recognize them anymore.

UPDATE:

My CDRW Drive no longer reads anything anymore, but stilll works. It opens and closes and is still recognized in My Computer. It no longer works!!!

Do you have another comp to put the drive in to test it like Rick asked? If it works in the other system we know there is something wrong with the comp that the drive was originally in? did you attempt to clean the drive like storm advised?

I will attempt to clean in later this week. I currently don't have a test computer laying around anywhere, because all my friends took their computers home. So time will tell.

i have the same problem

i have a laptop and the internal burner acts like it's burning but when i check the disk it says that it's blank. i also have an external burner and it shows up when i plug it in but when i click on it is says it cant be found. all the old burned disks work and dvds play normally. i used the restore disk that came with the laptop and restored my whole system and it still doesnt work. the only thing i can think of is that maybe some core software might be damaged and since the restore disk is not a full version of windows maybe it cant fix the problem.im gonna try the external burner on my girlfriends computer to see if it works but the internal one i obviously cant. can someone please help me with this problem. ps. maybe a registry cleaner or some kind of program to fix software that my restore disk cant fix. thanks

just to leave an update

well, just to let anyone who has the same problem know that the problem is in the registry. I tried everything else to fix the problem with no luck but just for the hell of it I tried a registry cleaner. I used Registry Mechanic and the problem is gone. My laptop is running like new. ok latta

i have a similar problem with my computer.. except it won't burn at all!

i don't know what the problem is.. it will only burn to CD-RW but only a certain type of CR-RW if it feels like it.

it does the same for writing files or burning music. help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back