Cd burner will not burn

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dell latitude D600 will play cds and dvds perfectly but will not burn cds.It is an TSL460C cdr/dvd unit.I downloaded the latest drivers and it appears that data is being placed on the cd,but it won't recognize the burned cd.Anything I've missed?

How old is the drive? There are different lasers for read/ write, and alignment might be an issue. If you believe that the data is being written, will another machine read the discs?

I can't find this drive: TS-L460C (although it may still exist somewhere)
Have you missed a letter or number or something

Anyway many Drives might see CD DVD discs, but due to being faulty, may not burn.

But this depends on many things like:
Trying other discs
What software program you are using to burn
What data is being burnt (ie hidden files? or linux files?)
And obviously the drive itself (that I can't find)

Also what error messages you are getting

Does he mean TSST?
Nope, it doesn't come up on that either.
Dell shows a multitude of optical drives that were available with the D600, including the TSST 462/ 463 but nothing like the number we're looking at here. These drives are all different capabities, so more info is needed from tyckrider. The D600 is discontinued so age could be a factor.

Many things haven't been mentioned for instance, when did this start? Did you drop the note book? Did it work before? Did you corrupt or change your burning software? Has any malware issue cropped up that you're aware of? This info might help. Yes, a couple of these questions duplicate kimsland's efforts, sorry.

I have distinct opinions about TSST drives, in that I believe they're never actually able to read their own writing very well, at least not for very long, but this POV is obviously colored by my personal experiences with drives by TSST.

I coulda' accidentally stuck 2 DVDs in at once a couple of times, so there's enough blame to go around.

No, I agree.

These drives are not all that good. As per my experience too
Many users purchase external DVD Writer Drives for this reason

Thanks for all the help so far,I bought the notebook used and I don't know if it has ever been dropped.The only program I have used is Media player 10.When I play any music is has an skip sound to it? My anti-virus program is AVG and I also have Adaware,are there better choices?

Thanks for all the help so far,I bought the notebook used and I don't know if it has ever been dropped.The only program I have used is Media player 10.When I play any music is has an skip sound to it? My anti-virus program is AVG and I also have Adaware,are there better choices?
AVG is getting a little heavy on using system resources, so the Avira might be a little easier on your notebook.
Skipping could be audio driver problems or optical drive problems.

Since you bought this machine used, I'm hoping you received all the restore discs and product keys as well. If not, be very careful until you have such items in your possession.

As kimsland has suggested some people purchase external DVD burners for notebooks with drive problems. Why not see if someone you know has an external drive you could experiment with, see how that works out. It would be a sure fire way of separating hardware from software issues. You would not be able to do much with DVD using Windows Media Player 10. You would have to purchase DVD-Video codecs to use it as DVD player.

I hope I'm right here, I never use Media Player so I could have me foot stuck in me mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back