CD Burners nowadays

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

What's weird is that, I have a 32x10x40 burner and it never burns faster than 24x. I can't set it higher either. I was thinking that my system sucked for the job. Turns up I buy a AXP 3000+ A7N8X Deluxe, and the damn thing doesn't burn faster than 24x! I can't even set it higher. I use nero and EZ CD creator 5.

Now, definately, there is something wrong. Do any of you experience the same symptoms?

Or howabout, do you guys bear the solution?

What is the speed rating of the media you are using? and what is the brand? I have had several spindles of memorex that would not burn at even half its rated spped. maxells on the other hand usually burn at twice their rated speed.

I can honestly say I've never heard of a 32x10x40 drive... Although I am sure they exist.. You may want to check to make sure it isn't 24x10x40 because that is far more likely.

That's correct. It's 32x10x40. Says so on the drive and I'm looking at this old box too.

Also, thanks iss, I think it might be my media. I hope that's the problem. I buy cheapo CDs that don't even have a brand name (but look clean) :).

So you say maxell is the best?

Originally posted by XtR-X
That's correct. It's 32x10x40. Says so on the drive and I'm looking at this old box too.

Also, thanks iss, I think it might be my media. I hope that's the problem. I buy cheapo CDs that don't even have a brand name (but look clean) :).

So you say maxell is the best?

It all boils down to what's the brand of your drive. Certain drives can burn on some mediums which other drives cant and vice versa. It would be much better for u to try as much as possible different brands of medium, this way you can find out which suits you best.

I have never had this problem, and I use cheap crap cd's all the time. They are even rated for something like 8 or 16 and I burn them at 24 with no problems.

I buy 50 pack spindles of 48X maxell's (Ritek)at wal mart for 15.00 and have never had a problem wih them. one thing you might want to do is check for any firmware updates for yuor drive. many times firmware updates which are applied via flashing the drive resolve media compaitability problems.

Be aware though that people who have bought cheapo CDs have thought that there was something wrong with their writer only to discover that it was just the cheap CDs.

People have even flashed the firmware only to discover that it was crap CDs.

What is the make/model of your drive?

I too have had this exact problem, with my Samsung SM-352B 52x24x52x16 Combo drive, even with the newest firmware.

When I use old 8x rated TDK cdrs, my drive allows me to burn at 32x (crazy!). When I use new DataWrite 40x cdrs, I only get 24x speed, or less, showing up as selectable. This happens with any CD burning software I try (nero, roxio, cd mate, etc) and is due to the drive detecting the disc, and deciding that the media is not compatable.

When no cdr is inserted in my drive, I am able to select any speed all the way up to 52x, but as soon as I insert a 40x DataWrite (blue dye) cdr, I only see 24x, 16x, or 8x speeds as selectable.

According to Samsung, the cause is either, incompatable media, or Buffer Underrun Prevention (JustSpeed for Samsung) setting a lower speed after examining my system. I have already eliminated JustSpeed as the cause, thus leaving media compatability as the culprit. Sure enough, after testing (using CD Speed), I discovered that my Samsung drive does not like blue coloured media, and even has difficulty reading these discs.

You need to sample a variety of media to find one that your drive likes. Unfortunately, I still have a couple of hundred blue cdrs to use up first.

I'll sell you guys my 4x, then you never have to worry about it underperforming, it will burn anything you toss at it (well as long as its CDR or CDRW) at full speed. :)

oh yeah a little clarification. flashing your drive wont overcome the problem of using crap media. and another hidden problem with the cheapo no name stuff is they usually dont adequately protect the top of the disk and the foil is easily scrathced or develops pits when that happens its bye bye data the disk is toast. I would rather spend 15.00 for a spindle of maxells and not have to worry about it than to lose data on some 9.00 a spindle no name brand.

This speed issue is not something that just applies to *cheap* media (which does badly in any drive), but as I have found, it also applies to high quality, but incompatable media. The media I use works fine in my 12x Teac burner, but my Samsung 52x simply doesn't like it. Its quite a problem these days and you really need to test a sample of discs to find one that works for you.

52x24x52x16 is my new one also, it's also a samsung. I've downloaded all the driver updates for everything including nero and ezcdcreator 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back