CD Drive Going Insane

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

My Samsung 52x24x52 is acting up now.

Say there is a CD in there or not, just randomly, it will eject the tray, re-insert, and load whatever is inside the cdrive... of course this being a CD...

I never ever call upon it to open up. It does this on startup too.

It's on PRIMARY and is currently SLAVE. The PRIMARY MASTER is a DVD-ROM. I haven't had problems for about 1 year until now...
(No, my HD is not on SECONDARY... lol SATA, and I don't use SECONDARY.)

Any ideas?

I once saw a program that a friend used.....once run it arbitrarily opened the tray and closed it on the cd drive. About drove the guy nuts he played the prank on. He was just short of reloading his system when he was stopped. Almost as bad as his button-switching mouse.

I doubt that's your issue, BUT if you've got pranksters around that have access to your computer, be forewarned. :D

Edit: typo

Check that the cables are properly inserted at the back of your CDRW and on the mobo.
Other than that, Masque might be on to something.... unless your CDRW is on the way out. Try it in another PC.

I've seen this happen before with trojans. If someone has taken over your computer it is possible for them to do this. Just another possibility.

Thanks guys for your thoughts but I believe it is none of the above.

1) I have like 3-4 Anti-Spyware programs, Norton Antivirus and Norton Firewall, in which I look for updates every single day. Non bogus applications btw... Ad-Aware, SpyBot, Spyware Blaster... and yeah just 3.

2) No pranksters go on my computer. My computer is indeed a 'PC', a Personal Computer.

3) It's been working for a long time and it just started acting up, thus, killing the idea for the cables being incorrectly connected. In fact, I just finished burning 2 CD's, and compiled an MP3 Disc and a WAV disc. All four work fine.

Any other thoughts?

3) It's been working for a long time and it just started acting up, thus, killing the idea for the cables being incorrectly connected. In fact, I just finished burning 2 CD's, and compiled an MP3 Disc and a WAV disc. All four work fine.

Any other thoughts?

I can tell you haven't worked on many PC's. Cables come loose all the time, for various reasons, some for no reason at all. I have even seen instances where cables would lose connection intermittently and the drive would vanish one minute and reapear the next. I don't think this is the problem here, mainly because of the door thing, but its worth checking, and worth mentioning because you should never overlook something like that as a possibility even if it seems irrational to you.

btw, this thread should have been made in Storage not in Other hardware.

My girlfriend's computer recently developed the same problem. Every now and then (no particular pattern.. Hours.. Days.. A week or two...) it will continue to pop open and close the CDROM tray.

I scanned the computer using Mcafee 8.0, Norton Antivirus 2004 and Trend PC-Cillin Antivirus (all with the latest definitions) and nothing was found.

I haven't gotten around to replacing the drive though. Only happens to the CDRW (master).

CDRWs develop a lot of heat, even when only standing by.
To overcome this heat-problem (and save on wear and tear) I have put a micro-switch in the CDRW's PSU-powercable, by cutting both the red and yellow wires and soldering that switch in.
If I want to burn a CD, I reboot the PC with the switch ON, when I am done, I just switch OFF.
Under W2K (and I assume XP) this works perfectly.

So probably the prolongued heat and vibration of constantly running that CDRW may have caused the problem.

Originally posted by StormBringer
I can tell you haven't worked on many PC's. Cables come loose all the time, for various reasons, some for no reason at all. I have even seen instances where cables would lose connection intermittently and the drive would vanish one minute and reapear the next. I don't think this is the problem here, mainly because of the door thing, but its worth checking, and worth mentioning because you should never overlook something like that as a possibility even if it seems irrational to you.

btw, this thread should have been made in Storage not in Other hardware.

I also happen to know they're not loose...

Hey X ,just a thought .Some properties setting in your burning software.Eg. 'eject disk at the comepletion of a write" etc. In one of my machines Nero does not like Win XP's' autorun' setting. Also check your packet writing software ,it runs all the time some strange conflict may exist.
Also how about dust build up asround the eject button, maybe a little donut icing you inadvertantly left around the button. A little compressed air around the tray door ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back