TechSpot

1. TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

CD Drive help

By s888 ยท 13 replies
May 14, 2008
  1. For awhile now my Cd drive(I don't know the make or model of it) does not always recognize a certain disc(Battlefield 2). If I keep opening and closing my cd tray the computer sometimes recognizes it. When I put this disc in another computer it works perfectly every single time. And every other disc I put in my computer works perfectly. If anybody could help me, that would be great

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +235

You might replace the drive. They are not expensive, and they get old just like we all do

3. s888

s888 TS Rookie Topic Starter

But I don't understand why it is just this cd that has a problem.

4. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

Have you cleaned it according to proper cleaning practices?

Is it a genuine version or a burned copy?

5. s888

Yes I have cleaned and I don't see any smudges or scratches on it. And yes it is a genuine version of it.

6. CCT

7. s888

I don't think that is the problem in the link you gave me, because the cd does work like 1 in 30 tries.

In the administrative tools, what type of errors should I be looking for? Should there be an error every time I try to use the disc? If so, there are no errors.

I also have the same problem with the Battlefield 2 Special Forces disc, so I don't think the disc is damaged in any way.

8. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

You can also purchase actual CD Drive (itself) cleaning discs (just adding to CCT )
    It sounds as though the laser is not picking it up (and possibly dirty)

9. s888

I thought that wouldn't be the problem, since all the the other discs I put in my computer work without any problems at all.

10. kimsland

No it's very common, actually I have the same fault. 1 disc out of hundreds sometimes works.
    I know I need a new drive (ie the cleaning disc costs money :) ) may as well invest in a new drive.

You'll see the same problem with written discs

11. s888

But is it the same disc every time? I mean that if I have disc A, B and C. Disc B always has the problem.

12. CCT

Un-hide your hidden files and protected system files and do a Search for Starforce.

If you have it and have installed burning software it may block the use of the BF2 CD.

http://digg.com/tech_news/Games_that_use_Starforce

edit: I checked mine as above and found nada BUT on a registry check found a number of entries. The drivers are there from earlier game installs but have never bothered me because I don't run any add-on burner software.

13. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +235

s888,
    you can either live with the problem or replace the drive

14. kimsland

Yes. Also when I put the same disc into another DVD Drive (on another computer) it starts.

So I know the disc does work
    I agree the disc is slightly marked (and is also a written disc)
    I have cleaned it fully (not the drive though)
    I know I need another Drive

And so do you.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.