Cd drive not being picked up in bios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a Friend who recently thought it would be a good idea to change the voltage setting's on his psu becuase his computer would not start (try checking the power is on!) anyways, he switched the power on and blew it good.

After replacing the psu and reformatting his drive for him gave him back his comp in full working order or so i thought.

Went down to install a game on his computer and the cd drive was not being picked up in windows or the bios, which it was when i replaced the psu and gave it back to him, windows also took an age to boot. i removed the power to one of his cd drives which made the other one magically reapper in windows but would not pick up cd's. thought it might have something to do with the psu although i relaced it with the same kind 150w (it's an old emachines 1.2 celeron)and said i would have a look at it next chance i got.

two days later he arrived on my doorstep with his bundle of joy and said it no longer booted. removed and checked the hd which was full of bad sectors. prob due to the surge he gave it!

replaced the hd, and checked the bios and it still wont pick up a cd drive, checked cables, jumper settings, bios settings, cleared the cmos even tried a 300w psu in it to see if that would make a difference but no joy.

I'm running out of ideas so any help would be appreciated!

whenyou sayit wont pick up a cd drive do yo mean you have tried other CD drives to see if his cd drive is damaged? a power surge can damage alot fo components on a motherboard I would say he was lucky that the whole board isnt toast. even if they didnt all act like they were damaged to begin with the power surge probably stressed them enoough that it is going to start failing.

Update

Right, tried both cd drive in my computer. one is totally dead the other gets picked up in both bios and windows but wont run anything! tried the one that semi works in my mates comp and that is now getting picked up in the bios so guess he'll have to shell out for a new cd writer as well.

least the mobo's not went (yet!!)

Any suggestions about the drive that semi works?

the drive that semi works is actually semi dead. it needs to be replaced as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back