CD Drive won't work!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My aunt just gave me this computer. It's a gateway computer thats fairly old, it's running off of windows ME, but with roadrunner it's not to shabby, but thats not the point. the CD drive which was working a couple days ago quit working. At first it just didn't show up on my computer as a disk drive, but now the computer won't even recognize it's there. i tried using ADD HARDWARE but the comp won't find it, i can't think of what else to do. it's like it not getting power either cause it won't even open up and the light on it doesn't even blink anymore. Can anyone offer my some advice as to how to fix this.

From what you said it just died,if your sure it's connected properly.
Turn off power supply and check it and the cable is tight.
It could also be a bad cable,Try another if you can.
Is it still connected the same way when it worked "
Is there a Drive letter in My Computer icons ?
Is it listed in Device Manager (sysdm)
It sounds like a plain older cdrom drive.Time for a new cd or dvd burner.
Their very cheap now to fuss with this one.
You have to have at least 1 optical working drive.

I unplugged and replugged in the drive when it quit working , i'm almost positive its back the way it was. and no it used to be Disk drive (D:) but now its gone, doesn't show up at all, and no not listed in device manager

Why did you unplug the unit? Was the PC shutdown? Try a known working unit if you can. If that works you'll know that your's died. You can plug your hardisk (temporarily) into the mobo outlet that supplies your CD just to be sure that the output is still good. Good Luck.

Yea the PC was shut down. it quit working befor i unplugged it, and i just wanted to make sure it was plugged in good, but don't worry about it now i found a new CD drive on pricewatch.com for like $20, ill probably just get it

I suggested unplugging

pdyckman@comcas said:
Why did you unplug the unit? Was the PC shutdown? Try a known working unit if you can. If that works you'll know that your's died. You can plug your hardisk (temporarily) into the mobo outlet that supplies your CD just to be sure that the output is still good. Good Luck.

It was the only troubleshooting option.
Condensation (rust) is often removed by reconnecting connections.
I did my HI FI system regularily.HI FI Mag tip.:)
He made the right decision and ordered a new one.
If a new one doesn't work i'll be surprised.
But it must be set and connected as Slave or Master.
I assumed the old one was set right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back