TechSpot

CD/DVD burning problems freezing

By silvermodak
May 3, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Please help I dont know what could be wrong here. I recently upgraded to an Athlon 64 x 2 4400 processor and after I got the new motherboard in and everything working I have stumbled across a horrible problem when burning CD's.

I couldnt seem to even read from my DVD drive.

When I try to burn CDs/DVDs using Nero the progress indicator will get to a certain percentage and then stop. When I try to cancel out the program is frozen and all I can do to get out is disconnect my power supply for the computer. I thought it may be the DVD burner as it was about 3 years old so I bought a new one.

Same problem except the DVD/CDs read now but wont burn.

I have tried other burning packages which dont seem to freeze but always result in an unreadable CD.

I detached the other DVD drive on the computer and upgraded the firmware for my new burner. Same problem.

Could it be the drive is not getting enough power? All I have on the comp is a firewire PCI card, PCI express video card, internal HD and floppy. the burner and a fan controller. I think the PSU is 350W.

I cant seem to find any problems that would make this happen!

Please help.

2. silvermodak

silvermodak TS Rookie Topic Starter

Please please can someone help I need to burn CD's for a customer and I can't!

3. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

tried updating the motherboard drivers?
    maybe it isnt getting enough juice can only be tested by purchasing a better and more powerfull psu..

there are other threads with similar problems to this (apart from windows freezing), but troubleshooting steps still apply.. so give them a read through, one of tehm may solve it.

4. silvermodak

Cheers, motherboard drivers are brand new, got the newest ones when I set it up.

Could it possibly be the IDE cable needs replaced?

5. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

that too can be a possibility..

for your psu conserns check it out here
    http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
    but according to this calculator, you need at least 385watts of power, so round taht up to 400w minimum (headroom)

although i am just guessing your full system specs, so check over it for yourself..

usualy when one upgrades a motherboard or a video card, the psu (if its stock/not high watt rating) gets a change too... but see how it goes.

6. silvermodak

Thanks, Looks like this is the answer, although I need to get a special PSU because the case is rackmount. Now a quest to find one that fits...

7. Nukey

Nukey TS Rookie Posts: 114

Have you tried the X-Power 500w? I know its a cheap one but it's full of features..

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.