TechSpot

cd/dvd drive not found

By frow
Jun 26, 2007
  1. when i boot up my computer i get the message saying cd/dvd drive was not found, consult the troubleshooting section of your user manual. i am running on xp and the drives dont show up in either my computer or device manager. i have deleted the upperfilter and there was no lowerfilter. that worked for a little while but then the drives disappeared again and the upperfilter also never returned. i have also tried to restore the registry to an earlier time and that worked for a short time but then the drives were gone again. i have also gone into bios and loaded the optimal defaults which didnt work. i am not sure what else to do please help!

2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

3. frow

frow TS Rookie Topic Starter

that didnt work

4. CCT

In device manager, uninstall the cd drivers, uninstall the cd, shut down.

Open case, pull power supply and ide connector from the cd.

Reboot - shutdown again - reconnect and reboot.

5. frow

that worked for a little while but the drives again disappeared in both device manager and my computer.

6. CCT

Change the ide cable if you have access to another.

As an experiment, only hook up one cd/dvd and switch the 2 around so each has a chance at the middle connector.

7. frow

i changed the cable that didnt work and i tried hooking up only one that alos did nothing

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.