CD/DVD drives not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both drives, my CD-RW and DVD drives are detected by my computer, but when I put a disc in, it does nothing.

It will do the auto run, spin like hell, and show the mini CD beside my mouse, but nothing will pop up and it says nothing is in the drives in "My Computer"

The power supply can hold them (Since it's all stock and the computer has worked fine for 4+ years) They just stopped all of the sudden.

Now my CD drive died around 2-3 years ago, so I always used my DVD drive for everything, but now that my DVD drive is having the same problem I can't do anything, I might as well get them both fixed.

Any ideas?

"Both drives, my CD-RW and DVD drives are detected by my computer, but when I put a disc in, it does nothing"...

"Now my CD drive died around 2-3 years ago, so I always used my DVD drive for everything, but now that my DVD drive is having the same problem I can't do anything, I might as well get them both fixed"...

Is the dead CD drive your former CD-RW, listed as "both drives" above? Are you just running a DVD in your system now? If so, CD/DVD drives don't last forever, and it is highly possible that the DVD drive is worn out now. You can't fix CD/DVD drives. They have to be replaced with new drives. You can install a single combo burner to read and burn CD's and DVD's now. A combo burner is about $45

Well if I understood your reply right, then this might help to solve it.

I have to different Drives, CD and DVD.

My CD drive died as I said above, so recently I replaced it with an old one. Still didn't work.

DVD drive, never had a problem with it until recently, pretty lame in my case, seeing as how I'm a gamer.

Updating firmware is done by going to the drive manufacturers website and searching for downloads using the drives model number. You download the firmware file, the installer program and instructions...

Follow the instructions exactly

Tmagic650 said:
Updating firmware is done by going to the drive manufacturers website and searching for downloads using the drives model number. You download the firmware file, the installer program and instructions...

Follow the instructions exactly

Well I hate to be this much of a hassle, but I basically need someone to hold my hand on this one, where would the site be located, and how do I know exactly what my drive is?

You would probably be better off just replacing the drive. Open the case and locate the lable on the top of the DVD drive. This lable will tell you the make and model of the CD or DVD drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back