CD/DVD ROM icon missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
i m using Compaq presario 1800T ,pentium II , designe for win98.
but i m using WINXPpro sp2 version 2002. since last 2years.
i have DVD/CD rom,
form last 2 weeks i have seen that my laptop READS a CD but cant dispaly any data.
my CDrom icon , E: is missing suddenly.i have no access to my CD rom.
in device manager i can see IDE ATA/ATAPI contollers, with NO exclmatory mark.i cannt find my CD/DVD ROM drivers
it is detected by BIOS but fail to detect in windows.
i tried deleting Upper n Lower filter,but no joy.{http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/}

i dont know..which CD rom i m using. i cant format my laptop.i tried syestm restore but no use.

i dont know wht to do:( help needed desperatly.tried lot of ways.

i think you should uninstall and re-install your device drivers and see if that works. if that doesnt, then try running chkdsk /r in cmd prompt and see if it will fix it.. OR if that doesnt work, you can run a windows xp repair without damaging your files. if you dont know how to run it, just let me know. If you run that and it doesnt work, then your DVD/CD ROM is defective, or just needs to be cleaned thouroughly because its dirty..

still no joy

i cannt find my device driver. it say that the driver are auto.loaded form Win 98or XP.
how to run the repair for win,since i cannt run a CD.
there is no question of defective device,coz....rom reads a CD.
the basic problem is that , i cannt locate my rom in Mycomputer.
i GUESS, i have DVDRom of TOHSIBA DVDROM SD-2202
thanx for ur reply.appreciate.

You say you can't access your CD drive from within Windows. Can you BOOT from CD?

Insert your WinXP disc and reboot. If that works, try doing a re-install (skip the "Recovery Console" option, select "install Windows", and after it detects your existing installation, select "Repair".)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back