TechSpot

CD/DVD-RW problem - PLEASE HELP!!

By makavelithedon2
May 30, 2007
  1. Hi,

I've recently been having a few problems with my dvd drive & am after some advice as to how I can get it fixed.....

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FS215S laptop with a Sony DVD RW DW-D56A.
    Recently the drive has stopped reading cd-roms & audio cds but WILL still read DVDs & plays them fine.

I have followed some instructions found in another thread on this board which said the problem could be fixed by removing a couple of driver files (GEARASPIWDM & PXHELP20), uninstalling the drive & re-booting. I have done this & now have the following drivers on my system:
    cdrom.sys
    imapi.sys
    redbook.sys
    storprop.dll

I now have the problem that my laptop doesn't seem to want to reinstall the dvd drive. It's listed under the Device Manager with a yellow exclamation - I have tried updating the driver but the system cannot find anything.

I have also downloaded the original driver installation program from Sony but when I try to load/extract this it says that no supported drive can be detected.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can get my drive re-installed & working properly again?!?!

PLEASE HELP!!

Many thanks in advance!

Steve

2. makavelithedon2

makavelithedon2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi,

I have managed to get the drive recognised by the system/device manager now but am still having the same problem - it is not recognising any cd-rom or audio cd in the drive......

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    Steve

3. halo71

halo71 TS Rookie Posts: 1,289

Pretty sure that the drive itself will need to be replaced. If I am not mistaken, there are separate lasers that read the different formats. I could be wrong but I have a older model Compaq, that I jsut replaced the drive on that was doing the same thing you are describing.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.