Cd/dvd writing problem with most programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamensterms

i have been having a lot of issues with cd and dvd backups. i have been using nero as my main burning program and Ulead sometimes too(both these programs were in a pack when i bought my dvd/cd writer). lately when i try to use nero to do anything[copy dvd, data dvd/cd, mp3 cd, audio cd, etc], i open the nero start smart utility and select the task i want...then it loads for a few seconds and i get a message that the program has un expectedly quit, windows is sorry, etc.

so i figure ill use another program....he is a few i have trialed....and the results:
- Windows media Player: Opens fine, plays music and videos fine, but when i try to write a cd, it freezes and is "Not Responding"
-Ulead: opens Movie Factory Media Center, but when i select a task the program is "Not Responding" and i cannot shut it, even in task manager.
-Power2Go: Similar to ulead...open task console, but when i select a task the program is "Not Responding" and cant be shut in task manager either.
-CloneCD: Same as above....however, when i select copy disk. the program runs fine only if there is no cd/dvd in the drive. If i put the disk in the drive, then try to run the program, it stops responing. but if i wait until the programs asks for the disk, then put it in the writer, it works ok. i have tried this approach on the other programs too, but it doesnt help.

Nero and Ulead both used to work fine, without any problems. i have not installed any new hardware lately, and i have PC-Cillin and AVG and they both say my system is clean.

im running XP, 3gig CPU, 1gig RAM and an 80 gig HDD. The CD/DVD Writer is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-108.

Any help is much appreciated.

ok well i have pioneer DVR-109. it works fine for most of the time but periodically stuffs up when burning with itunes. anyway maybe try updating the firmware if you haven't already?
maybe have a look at Cd Freaks

if it is still covered under warrentry SEND IT BACK. i have a sony cd-rw and i went kaput, i called sony and they gave me an RMA # in 20min. sent it back, 3-weeks later i get a completly new 1 [i had a marcking on so i no it is different] + the do not remove or warrentry void sticker was broke :). so if u got goo service... that is quite odd i use clone cd and that is the only thing i use. I also reccomend using 1 for everything. 1 program that does all of your burning needs any 1 will do [when you get it working] but i have some conflict in the past about this. as to the origional problem all i kan think of it the drive is kaput but thats just a guess.

you can try disabling or set to manual
IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service
computer management ,services
check writer for udma mode not pio
event viewer may give clues ,again, computer management
I had trouble with nero 7.0.1.2 I have 7.0.1.4 works pretty good cept for making iso's
incd did not work on my machines ,any of them

CHeck to make sure that your burner is operating in DMA mode instead of PIO. look in device manager under "IDE ATA|ATAPI Controllers" check the channelt eh device is on under the advanced tab. if it shows the device is operating in PIO mode uninstall the IDe channel and reboot. windows will reinstall the channel and the drive automatically wehn windows resarts. it should then be in DMA mode.

I'm having problems burning a cd. I've tried new cds and even slowed my speed to get them to burn. It'll go through the burning process....ready to burn..then it'll get to the final stage where it says that its closing the disc then I have this pop up that says that the media player can not burn to disc. Try a different brand of discs or slow the speed down, I've tried all of this and it doesn't work. This is driving me crazy. It's been doing this for about 6 monthes, it worked one day then it started this. I don't know whatelse to do. I've went onto ask.com and looked around for answers and this is where I ended up. Can someone please help me? This computer is 2 years old and I didn't think I'd have problems with it already. It's an emachine T3882. HELP!!!!!!

why do you need virtual mem BACK?? windows sets it auotmaticly as accordingly. if you want to manually change it right click on my computer -> properties -> advanced [tab] -> under preformance click on settings ->advanced [tab] -> change -> costom size put in the ammount you want.

the burner is in DMA mode. i do have a few different types of burning software(trials, etc) installed...would it make any difference if i were to remove some of them? none of them are set as a default for any file type(i dont think).

i ran the nero infotool and found that my system ASPI installation is corrupted. does that mean that i need to update my dirvers or something? i heard somewhere that that is through windows update, but im not sure what to do.....

The Aspi that Nero installs is it's own version of ASPI. try reinstalling nero to solve the problem. it is not a good idea to have multiple burning programs installed since they dont always play nice together.

I've got 5 burning apps on a system they work OK ,must be lucky
forgot about the aspi drivers that could be it
I think I use the MS fix
another good free burner is deepburner
only thing I found is it will not show the dvd size at bottom
but burns all types from vob to iso

I have found that most burn programs these days do work fairly well together as long as one of them is not Roxio. Blind Write or any program that installs the special drivers ( pattin couffin) it uses can also cause problems with other burning programs.

hmmm

well, i have updated the apsi drivers(or whatever they are), uninstalled and reinstalled nero. removed all the other dvd/cd writing software, except dvdshrink....and i still have the same problem. would if be worth dumping nero all together and getting a different program? is roxio or any other software any good? or is nero the "way to go"?

Nero is still one of the best burning programs around. I wouldnt touch Roxio with a ten foot pole. What motherboard are you using? if it is Intel do you have the Intel application Accelerator drivers installed? if it is Nforce do you have the Nforce motherboard drivers installed? Both the IAA and nforce motherboard drivers are known to cause problems with optical drives.

its a gigabyte 8s661fxmp-rz 2004 motherboard. not sure about accelerators and such. as far as i know...most of my hardware drivers are up to date, i do try and keep on top of them. maybe ill try removing the writer and reinstalling it. ill let you know how that goes.

lamensterms said:
well, i have updated the apsi drivers(or whatever they are), uninstalled and reinstalled nero. removed all the other dvd/cd writing software, except dvdshrink....and i still have the same problem. would if be worth dumping nero all together and getting a different program? is roxio or any other software any good? or is nero the "way to go"?

I have had the same problem with Nero as well. But what is one to do?

a new problem arises

on top of all the other issues i am having, now i cannot access the drive through explorer/my computer. normally i would be able to create a data disk or an mp3 disk by just dragging and dropping in the drive through explorer or my computer (as long as there is a blank cd/dvd in the drive). now whenever i try to do this i get a message saying "E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function".

so i removed the drive and reinstalled it, and it didnt help. problem remains.

the only other thing I can think of would be to try a different IDE cable. maybe the one you have is bad. ( it does happen) if that doesnt work then I would try the drive in another machine. if it doesnt work there then it's a defective drive. if it does work then you may have a problem with the IDE controller on your mobo.

There is one other thing. Have you ever updated the firmware of your drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back