CD playing has gone funny

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have XP on a machine with a 1.4 Athlon processor, and a whole Gigabyte of RAM, yet my CD's don't play properly if I'm surfing at the same time!

What do I need to tweak?

This is a recent development, but I have no idea what I've done to cause this problem, I'm afraid. :(

There is a lot of info missing in order to look at your problem!
If you only have the problem when your online surfing, you may want to check Windows update particularly IE and it's relationship to Win Media player and DirectX.
Also check any sound card driver updates
Can you recall downloading or new applications near when the problem started.
I would also recommend not downloading any thing unless it refers to the symptoms you are experiencing , especially if there are no other problems with your machine.

Its a common problem, as many older PCs don't multi-task that well. I don't think there is much you can do to eliminate the problem, though you could try reducing the number of background tasks that are running. That might help a little.

Edit: I misread the original post, so ignore the advice above :=). You could try unchecking the 'Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device' under the properties settings for your cdrom drive, and see if it helps any.

A 1.4GHZ should be more then enough to play a CD ( which doesn't use the CPU at all ) & surf at the same time. The problem could be a DMA problem or perhaps the application you use to read the CDs that can be a hog ( JukeBox, iTunes, etc ).

Noisy;
I agree , Sam should not have any trouble running a cd - online.
A couple of months ago I upgraded a cd+rw to a DVD+/-rw
on a Xp Home machine 1.5 P4 256
I got all kinds of intermittent play.IE 6 ,Directx and Media Player are being upgraded by Microsoft to deal with itheir new copyright protection functionality.I don't understand the particulars but upgrading these items stopped my issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back