cd-rom assignment changes back to d: after ghosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlem

Anyone have an idea of this problem?

install OS on laptop and change the cd-rw/dvd-rom to z:
create image with ghost 8

original laptop is fine, but once you blow the image down to other laptops, on first reboot XP detects new hardware and requires reboot, the cd-rw/dvd-rom is back on D:. This happens everytime no matter what I do. On my desktops that I am creating the image on it works fine. But these laptops. Here are the specs.

Laptops are HP compaq nx9110 laptops with toshiba cd-rw/dvd-rom drives.

desktops are HP dc5000sff

I don't see why you couldn't use Windows XP computer management, then click on Disk Management. Then scroll down to your DVD drive and right click and choose change drive letter.

Are you *creating* the image on the laptops, and then ghosting? Or are you creating the image from somewhere else?

I am using one laptop to create an image for about 300 more of the exact same kind of laptops. I do change the d: to z: in computer managment but after you ghost the image and then put that image on other computers, the first reboot of those other laptops the drive is changed back to D:. This means I have to manually change all of the other almost 300 laptops to z:.

Are you sysprep'ing? That will cause this behavior. Thing is, if you are performing a sysprep then you will probably need to keep doing so. Unfortunately I don't know of a solution to this problem, but I also encounter the same issue as windows will assign driver letters starting from the lowest except B.

actually I don't use sysprep for just this reason. I use another product called newsid. It works, well I might add, and it does not cause XP to re-install hardware on first boot like sysprep will. I haven't had to do it once on the desktop images yet.

Sysprep does not make XP reinstall hardware UNLESS you choose the "PnP" option which is not enabled by default.

Soul, I know that is how it "should" work, but it was not doing so when I started this project. Sysprep would force the reinstall everytime, for both the laptops and desktops. So I found newsid and it works fine on the desktops but the laptops still do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back