CD-ROM Drive Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrprimo55

Hi all.
I just began having a problem with both my DVD-ROM and my CD-RW drive. I went into My Computer and noticed that neither of them were showing up. It simply shows my floppy and the C: drive. I went into Device Manager and both drives have a little ! error type thing next to them. Under Device Status in the properties for each drive, they both say "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)" They both say the same thing. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling them both but that didn't fix it. My computer is free of spyware; I run Spybot and Ad-Aware daily. It is in the process of running a virus scan right now with Norton Antivirus 2005 because that is the first thing that came to mind as to why this is happening. Did something maybe happen to the registry, and would there be a way to fix it? If not, what is the problem here and what can I do about it? I've listed my drives and my computer specs below. Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Drives:
HITACHI DVD-ROM GD-8000
LITE-ON LTR-24102B

System:
P4 1.5 GHz
640 Mb RAM (128 and 512)
Western Digital Caviar 120 GB
Windows XP Service Pack 1
if any other specs are needed, just tell me.

First thing to replace would be the IDE-cable. It has to be a 40-wire cable, not the newer 80-wire one.
Are there any error-messages in your Event-log?

The event log is where application/security/system event logs are stored.

You can get to the event viewer by right clicking on my computer and selecting manage, then click on the + sign next to event vewer.

Any errors will show up as red crosses. You can double click on any event to get information about it.

Regards Howard

:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back