CD-Rom drive fell & won't work (Someone Please Help Me!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a used Compaq Presario 1234 laptop online, yea I know, dumb move for a non-tech type person. Well needless to say, now that I have it, I have a problem. The cd-rom drive fell right out of it when I got it. It's a Toshiba, I thought no big thing...right. I had a computer person put it in, and well the damn thing doesn't work. I can't even get it to open. Now I find that there isn't even a D drive installed into the computer. The system tells me to re-install Windows 98, so I got a floppy of WIN 98 and tried to reinstall it, then it says that there is no working D drive so it can not proceed. I need to find a cd rom drive for this system that isn't going to cost me hundreds of bucks. The whole system cost me less than $200, well now I know why. I tried to call compaq, and they said that they will only sell me a CD-RW, DVD rom thing for $330. Heck no. So ebay it is,? but I can't find out what the product number is for a compaq cd rom drive, or what else is compatible like the Toshiba models ect. I don't need name brand that's for sure, just one that works. Someone please help me, I'm not a computer tech in the least, I just don't want to get ripped off again! :hotbounce

Thanks

- Please use proper thread titles
Didou

First , I could almost garrantee your going to get a brand name optical drive .Only a couple of large firms make those drives for portables .Toshiba being one of the largest suppliers.
Secondly ,Look for a reseller around town that specializes in used portables.If he doesn't have a drive with warrantee, he could at least tell you which model you will bid on at Ebay!
Good luck

If this laptop was faulty when it arrived, it was not fit for the purpose for which it was sold. Tell anyone who asks nothing about dropping the device ; say only that it did not work on arrival. Just a refund or replacement.

What Phant said, lol. I actually bought a DVD burner once and it either came faulty or it was because I dropped it -- 3 inches (somehow I doubt dropping it 3 inches caused it). I had to send it back. They were out of stock for that item so I ended up with no DVD burner when they refunded my money without even asking if I wanted a different type of DVD burner. =D

The drive shouldn't have just fell out in the first place. The fault lies on them.

How much warrantee do you guys really think this guy is going to get with a sub $200.00 ,used Laptop from Ebay?

You'd be surprised how many people offer non DOA warranties. Just contact them and tell them it arrived DOA. No worries, but you will have to bring it up with the seller personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back