CD-ROM drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trag

My problem is if I try to use a CD (music or CD-ROM) in the drive, the autoplay doesn't work, and if I go to "run" it tells me there is an I/O error with the drive. If I look at device manager, it tells me there is no problem with it. I have tried disabling and reenabling the drive, as well as reinstalling it, but I still haven't figured out what went wrong. Can anyone help?

Thanks

My thoughts are to maybe install the latest driver. What OS are you using? when you try to explore the drive can you see anything?

I had similar problems, and it turned out to be a bad drive, something mechanical with it. Device manager said it was working properly.

I'm running windows XP. I have tried reinstalling the driver for it, and I can't find an updated driver either.

Is it just CD-R or RW discs it will not read, cos some old cd-roms will not read them. If it is pucka discs that it will not read I am in agreement with gsgleason, it is probably a defective drive. Even when defective it may register OK in device manager.
They are cheap enough to replace anyway.

Well agreed Hodsocks, I remember facing a similar problem before with my Creative 8x, changed it and vola everything became under control.

You might try cleaning the drive, or checking the ribbon cable to make sure it is securely connected. I have seen many times when the cables would have a loose connection and the drive would be reported as fine, but it refused to read discs. Check your cables, disconnect and reconnect them a couple of times to make sure tthere is no oxidaation causing a bad connection, make sure they are firmly connected, then try it again. If that doesn't help and you've tried other recommendations, then you might be able to point to the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back