CD-rom empty in my computer, dvd always not accessible

By lookacow63
Apr 23, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey,
    This has got me. I've been having problems with these drives ever since i installed SP2...gah! I place a cd in the cd-r(plexwriter) and the cd shows up beside the mouse, my computer changes from showing a cd-r to cd drive, and it comes up as 0 bytes free 0 bytes used. In the dvd-rom(sony) it always comes up as 'not accessible' in device manager i've disabled and re-enabled; uninstalled and re-installed and same problem. I ran a disk check by sony on the cd-r and it wrote and read fine; no problems. in device manager the locations are shown as 0(0) and 1(1) the same as my two hard drives? how does that work? do i need to open her up and change around my drive placements?

Help!
  2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

you shouldn't need to open up your machine for this one. i have dealt with similar problems in the past and found them to be caused by driver corruption. the solution was to reformat, but if i was you i'd try uninstalling sp2 first. perhaps you shold try getting the latest firmware and device drivers loaded before resorting to a reformat.
  3. lookacow63

lookacow63 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

how do i revert from sp2?
  4. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,483

start>control panel>add or remove programs
    find 'windows xp service pack 2' on the list and click remove.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.