CD-ROM Location issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have an old thinkpad 600x laptop running Windows 2000 Professional. It won't recognise the CD-ROM drive, and I think this is because both the CD-ROM and the hard drive are identified at Location 0. I can't figure out how to change this to Location 1 in either Windows or BIOS. Can anybody help? Thank you.

Sounds as if your CD-ROM drive has failed, and because of that failure your have the location "error".
You can do further work by going to www.lenovo.com, then click on support, then Drivers and downloads.
Enter the seven digit type number for your 600X.
Be sure your BIOS is updated, then download all updates related to the CD-ROM drive... You will benefit from downloading all that relate to your model... best way is go to the Thinkpat Matrix for your 600x.
But, as a Thinkpad repairer, we find that most of the time with your issue, the drive has worn out.
You can find them cheaply at $25 to $30 on eBay. or $115 at IBM

Thanks for the response raybay. I was also thinking that the drive was dead at first, but I installed it in a friend's thinkpad and it performed as it is supposed to. I'll try downloading the fixes that you have suggested.

You might talk to the whizzes in tech support at www.thinkpads.com and thinkpad@stderr. You register for the second at http//.stderr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/thinkpad
Both are excellent sites with people who really know their stuff on Thinkpads. If this is any kind of a common problem, someone there will know.

I don't know if 2000 has Device Manager BUT if it has something like that and you can view devices by connection (under view settings) you can see what is connected to what.

My cd/dvd is also location 0 BUT on the IDE primary controller while my sata C: drive is location 0 on the AHCI controller.

Just for info anyway.

:)

Interesting, looking at the devices by connection I can see that the system is trying to assign my cd drive to the Secondary IDE channel. I thought it was just assigning both to the primary IDE but I guess that isn't the case. Maybe the instance where I tried my drive in a friend's computer was just a fluke and the drive actually is busted? I guess I'll just splurge on a new $25 dollar drive.

Thank you for the help guys.

Your cd probably IS on the secondary IDE channel (provided you have primary and secondary IDE controllers and your C: drive is an IDE on the primary).

You might be better looking at updating your chipset drivers.

Also, maybe clearing filters in the registry.

Just a thought.

You may need to go to "Easy Setup" screen and see if your CD ROM is even listed as one of your boot devices. If it is not, the laptop will not look for one. To enter "Easy Setup", hold down the F1 key and then turn on the laptop. Continue to hold the F1 key until the screen appears. You will want to go the "initialize" icon and double click on the way you want the laptop to boot. Hope this helps. Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back